[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Post by Boundary »

TheBradDevil wrote:Phew!! There is a God after all. That will compensate for our wretched luck! So what's the state of affairs(opinions)? I reckon if the dont get 500 we are good for a draw. A win is nw out for me , just not enough time. Will our batters hold up for at least 4 sessions against Ajmal?
Here's an out of the box thinking: send Taibu in at 1 - he can spot the doosras, he is gritty enough to hold out for at least 2 of those 4 sessions.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Well fielded, Craig! :D After all the dropped catches we needed a bit of luck. The match is intruigingly poised at the moment, but I still get nightmares about Ajmal ripping through our line-up in the second innings.

But for the blunders in the field it was a disciplined effort. The fact that we had a shocker in the field, Vitori was wayward first up, but we're still hanging in there gives me a lot of confidence going forward in test cricket. Lamb bowled very well, giving it a fair rip, while Price was his usual miserly self - I thought they complemented each other very well. Test cricket is a patience game, especially on a road like this, and we successfully bored some of the Pakistani batmen out.

I think Lamb has cemented that number 7 slot for now, at least when we're playing at QSC (the next test against NZ) or on the subcontinent.

As for the match situation, I have no ideas about the Pakistani lower order, but I would think there's not too much batting to come, so we might restrict them to 450-475. And then it's matter of Ajmal vs Zim ... A draw is the best we can hope for, the pitch is slow and we're not going to score quickly enough to set them a challenging total.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Can someone describe the Umar Akmal dismissal, I walked in just afterwards and didn't see the replay?

Yeah, tough situation in the match now. Ideally we'd get Pakistan to bat for as long as possible tomorrow for as few runs as possible. I wouldn't want to concede more than a 20 or 30 run lead to them.

So assuming Zimbabwe are in to bat again some time in the session after lunch, how do we hold on for a draw? Unfortunately I think getting bowled out is a real likelihood with Ajmal wreaking havoc, and with guys like Hafeez and Umar Akmal a small target could be achievable on the final day. I think Zimbabwe could defend 200 if they were bowled out around tea time on day 5.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Can someone describe the Umar Akmal dismissal, I walked in just afterwards and didn't see the replay?
Umar pulled Lamb's first ball of the final over straight into Ervine, who was ducking for cover/trying to get out of the way. The ball popped gently up in the air and presented Taylor with the easiest of catches at leg slip/leg gully.

Flower power

Post by Flower power »

One of the advantages of test cricket is that you still have learned from your Test >for it will be playing the doosra and putting up a better fielding perfomance come round 2>Cricket is a funny the game can just turn in a few overs.I believe God is there and tommorow he will bring miracles for Zim and those who do not believe in him

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Thanks foreignfield. :)

Just as an optimistic hypothetical. What if Pakistan completely fall apart tomorrow, say they lose the last 5 wickets for 15 runs and Zimbabwe have a 40 run lead with 2 days to go. What is the game plan? Try and pile on the runs and go for an incredible win? Or still play for the draw?

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Just as an optimistic hypothetical. What if Pakistan completely fall apart tomorrow, say they lose the last 5 wickets for 15 runs and Zimbabwe have a 40 run lead with 2 days to go. What is the game plan? Try and pile on the runs and go for an incredible win? Or still play for the draw?
Go for the win. We'll get a lot more credit, I reckon, for showing some balls and taking a chance than for trying to bat out a tame draw. Said the same at this point of the Bangladesh test, and Taylor got a lot of good press for declaring when he did. Same situation here, albeit our own position isn't as good.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

The official answer to the win-or-draw question:
Despite the danger of Saeed Ajmal, Price indicated that Zimbabwe will not go into a shell and bat for the draw. "We will definitely play for the win," Price said. "I don't think we can get a draw unless they bat really slowly tomorrow morning but I think their tail will play a few shots."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-v- ... 31142.html

...although they would say that, I suppose. :)

Flower power

Post by Flower power »

I love the attitude of Price and this Zim team .Had it been some of the past teams they would have already been thinking of a draw . A mouthwatering day 4 and 5 awaits us

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

9.55am "Zimbabwe don't want to concede more than about a 20-30 run lead to Pakistan, Ajmal on this pitch could cause a few problems for the Zimbabwean batsmen..." says Crew. We are about ready to go. Hopefully the wicket will have become abrasive
I submitted that as "The Crew from zimcricketforums.com"... I guess they didn't want to give us a plug :(