[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I'm not sure that we can still win this match. Even before the game, I didn't fancy Zimbabwe's chances of setting a winning second innings score and then bowling Pakistan out if the first innings score was close. I felt that a Zimbabwe win would come down to bowling Pakistan out quickly in the first innings (ie. around 250 or so), batting them out of the game in the second innings and forcing Pakistan to play for the draw - which wouldn't be their natural game.

Pakistan still trail by a fair bit, but it's hard to see Zimbabwe taking the 3 or 4 wickets required in the next session to put Pakistan on the ropes. This pitch is getting better for batting; those cracks highlighted at the start of play have had no impact at all. There's been no swing and no uneven bounce. I'd give Jarvis and Vitori 5 or 6 overs to attack the new batsman, but then I'd consider bowling Price and Lamb in tandem for a long while. There's going to come a point fairly soon, barring an incredible spell of bowling, where a Zimbabwe win becomes unattainable. And when that point arrives we're going to want to slow down the Pakistan run-rate as much as possible and set defensive fields as the longer it takes Pakistan to reach a first innings lead, the less time Zimbabwe have to stay at the crease and bat out a draw.

With Ajmal bowling on a day 4 or day 5 pitch, I'm not convinced Zimbabwe could bat out over 90 overs - so a considerable first innings lead to Pakistan would be extremely undesirable.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Oh my, that was a real dolly. :( Third bad miss of the innings.

I fear Misbah will make us pay for that one much like Hafeez did. Misbah and Younis are superb against spin, but right now Price and Lamb are bowling really well.

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

how many more catches can we afford to drop on this flat surface?
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Lamb is looking very good. I reckon he should throw in an armball; the batsmen are playing at everything.

takleg

Post by takleg »

The dropped catches have taken away the slim chance we had of winning this Test. Maybe Taylor can bowl his offies after tea and try to break this partnership.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

The disappointing thing is that all of the catches you would expect the fielders in question to normally take.

takleg

Post by takleg »

Another tough one goes down...

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

At the rate that we have dropped crucial brings us to a harsh reality that we have to step up in our fielding . Its not the batsmen or bowlers that are being tested the fielders too have concentrate fo long and not be caught napping.Zims fielding was our pride and joy.we need to make use of Grant Flower while he is still available

TheBradDevil
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by TheBradDevil »

Phew!! There is a God after all. That will compensate for our wretched luck! So what's the state of affairs(opinions)? I reckon if the dont get 500 we are good for a draw. A win is nw out for me , just not enough time. Will our batters hold up for at least 4 sessions against Ajmal?

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

End of Day 3 and the Test match is finely poised. As a Zimbabwean, who hasn't watched his Team in whites for almost 6 years, I am pleased. They could win it, correction ... Ajmal could win it for them but we've been competitive so far and that's good enough. A draw is what we deserve if we can spot Ajmal's doosras. If we win, well, let's not get carried away yet. Gradually we are earning respect. I wish next year we could play two/three Test series against NZ, WI and perhaps a one off against SA (just to see exactly where we are).