[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
9.55am "Zimbabwe don't want to concede more than about a 20-30 run lead to Pakistan, Ajmal on this pitch could cause a few problems for the Zimbabwean batsmen..." says Crew. We are about ready to go. Hopefully the wicket will have become abrasive
I submitted that as "The Crew from zimcricketforums.com"... I guess they didn't want to give us a plug :(
Nice try. :)

FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by FlowerPower »

Agree with you guys maehera, BRMT, Flower power...going for the win is bold but I see it differently, we will get more praise (amd points) for a draw than a loss. At this point with Ajmal awaiting and lack of wickets here I think playing for a draw is not a negative ploy but a smart move. Smart is wiser than brave...my 2 cents worth...
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

I think we're past the point where we can win anyway, tbh, which makes the point moot now. From here, restrict Pakistan's scoring, keep their lead as small as possible, see how it goes. In other words: lots more Price. 5 maidens of the trot for him at the moment - bloody impressive stuff.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

maehara wrote:I think we're past the point where we can win anyway, tbh, which makes the point moot now. From here, restrict Pakistan's scoring, keep their lead as small as possible, see how it goes. In other words: lots more Price. 5 maidens of the trot for him at the moment - bloody impressive stuff.
Yeah, we needed to have some sort of lead to open up that possibility and that opportunity has now passed. But yes, I agree with everything you've just said. Keep Price on as long as possible, keep Pakistan batting as long as possible for as few runs as possible.

The difference between the two teams has been set batsmen making a start and not going on. A few Pakistani's have gone on to make 60's and 70's while our guys were making 30's and 40's. Fielding has been bad for both teams.

Finally Price gets reward for effort, :W: Younis Khan is finally out.

FlowerPower

Post by FlowerPower »

If, big if, we were to polish the tail say before lunch giving us some 40 overs today say at 3 per over... what and when would be a sporting declaration tommorrow? Note I still go for grinding out a draw...
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Give Pakistan a target of 250 with 2 sessions to get it? But Zimbabwe can't bowl Pakistan out in 2 sessions, so it would be a hopelessly sporting declaration as it only gives them a chance to win.

I think the chance of a win is long gone anyway. Zimbabwe's best chance of winning Test matches right now is by having a first innings lead, I don't think the experience is there yet to hope for otherwise.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

What a joke. Bar the one smashed into Ervine, I'd back myself to have taken all of those dropped catches. They have not been difficult chances.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Finally a catch taken! Sigh!

The boys are looking absolutely jaded in the field after something like 10 hours, a fumble every second ball. It's not a sight that inspires me with a lot of confidence when it comes to batting. But it's all part of a learning process I guess.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

foreignfield wrote:Finally a catch taken! Sigh!

The boys are looking absolutely jaded in the field after something like 10 hours, a fumble every second ball. It's not a sight that inspires me with a lot of confidence when it comes to batting. But it's all part of a learning process I guess.
It's taking it's toll I suppose. I wouldn't expect a Zimbabwean team to drop that many catches in an ODI.

No matter what happens, Zimbabwe will have to bat for over 100 overs. A tough proposition but it's called Test cricket for a reason. Can Mawoyo keep going?

FlowerPower

Post by FlowerPower »

Ervine our best fielder this innings!