[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I'd add don't lose by an innings and don't set your lowest Test total to that list FlowerPower :(
Both are in danger right now... http://stats.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe/ ... ;type=team
54 is the lowest score (in 2005), 63 is the lowest by a team with Andy Flower in it (in 2000).

The sad thing is that we've been saying for nearly 2 or 3 days, batting against Ajmal on a day 4 or 5 pitch is going to be a problem. It was so obvious this was going to happen... why didn't the team have a plan for him? It looks like they are in 2 minds about how to approach the situation (see Masakadza's dismissal, albeit to a seamer).

There's not much to be gained out of batting for time now. Lamb and Taibu aren't going to be out there for 6 hours and put on 200 together. Maybe once the deficit is erased and a few of those low totals have been passed the batsmen should just try and take on the bowlers. If Zimbabwe could somehow get to a 100 run lead then maybe the bowlers could take a few wickets, make it a Pakistan win by 7 or 8 wickets rather than 10.

Just having a look at a few of Taibu's latest shots, it looks like he may be thinking along the same lines... :4:

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

YAY! WE HAVE A SMALL LEAD!! At least it's not an innings defeat. Just score a 150 more!
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by FlowerPower »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I'd add don't lose by an innings and don't set your lowest Test total to that list FlowerPower :(
Both are in danger right now... http://stats.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe/ ... ;type=team
54 is the lowest score (in 2005), 63 is the lowest by a team with Andy Flower in it (in 2000).

The sad thing is that we've been saying for nearly 2 or 3 days, batting against Ajmal on a day 4 or 5 pitch is going to be a problem. It was so obvious this was going to happen... why didn't the team have a plan for him? It looks like they are in 2 minds about how to approach the situation (see Masakadza's dismissal, albeit to a seamer).

There's not much to be gained out of batting for time now. Lamb and Taibu aren't going to be out there for 6 hours and put on 200 together. Maybe once the deficit is erased and a few of those low totals have been passed the batsmen should just try and take on the bowlers. If Zimbabwe could somehow get to a 100 run lead then maybe the bowlers could take a few wickets, make it a Pakistan win by 7 or 8 wickets rather than 10.

Just having a look at a few of Taibu's latest shots, it looks like he may be thinking along the same lines... :4:
First two averted, we have a lead of 1, and gone past 54....a bit of an anti-climax, but to be honest I really didnt think we could win, but honestly thought a draw wasnt beyond us. You are right it doesnt seem like we had a plan. I'm also dissapointed in Vusi, surely he knew we were not chasing a win, and hence more responsible batting was needed, I mean he was pulling in the first over...what for??? But having said that Ajmal is a class act and we were always going to be against it, batting day 4 and 5. On hindsight maybe a few more of our batters could have gone on when the going was good.

Aside: should we avoid Queens as a test venue? We never seem to do well..
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

FlowerPower wrote:
Aside: should we avoid Queens as a test venue? We never seem to do well..
The Tuskers won the Logan Cup whilst playing half of their matches there. I think we are tired, mentally more than anything, but the pitch needs to be better than this for our bowlers for the NZ test.
Last edited by Boundary on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Lamb gone, time to slog. I'd even send in Vitori ahead of Price.

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

That's the game there. I hope we don't get bowled out below 100...this is VERY EMBARRASSING!
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

This is like watching Zimbabwe circa 2005. Except this time there's no Chigumbura or Panyangara to save us from embarrassment...

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

takleg wrote:That's the game there. I hope we don't get bowled out below 100...this is VERY EMBARRASSING!

While this is a heavy defeat, I wouldn't really call it embarrassing...we showed a bit of fight, thats a positive...this is only our second test so relax, the learning curve is huge!

If on the other hand this was Bangladesh then maybe 'embarrassing' would be the word but for now I will only go as far as dissapointing...

WELL PLAYED ZIMBABWE...hopefully the powers that be will prepare the Queens track to suit our playing style (all big teams do this). It almost as if, the track is new to Zim since we always struggle on it..

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

79 vs Sri Lanka, 2002... is the next "record" we need to pass.

FlowerPower

Post by FlowerPower »

100 up! Where are we now BRMT?
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu