Zimbabwe vs gambia October 23rd 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbabwe vs gambia October 23rd 2024

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Just to emphasize...I just went to FIFA's website for maybe the third time in my life. They've got rankings, but there isn't even a "statistics" tab on their homepage...thats how quantitatively boring a sport that foot fetish thing is :lol:

They've got a motherfucking "legal" tab at FIFA...but not a stats one. Thats how NOT interested a human could be in even trying to quantify that game, lmao.

Meanwhile...the statsguru feature on cricinfo is pure gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

stats in cricket is fuckrd now because the oppositions are never equal
the big three play each other
the rest plsy each other
now zimbabwe are playing gambians who dont know the rules of cricket
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I agree that football is largely shit.

But if you watch premier league football on TV recently you will see stats are a much bigger thing these days. They bang on about various stats before, during and after the match. Sometimes for hours after the match.

I’m a cricket fan too and so I’m as guilty as anyone with the ‘oh yes but so many do his centuries were against minnows’ etc. but in truth literally no other sport does this. Every other sport lets teams play on a level playing field except cricket.

I’ve said earlier in the week I’m not at all that bothered about us playing these countries and in my opinion every single country other than the World Cup host should have to do the same.

Over 100 countries play cricket and want to play cricket and I hate that 10 countries decide whether the other 90 are allowed to play in certain tournaments or have certain ‘status’ all because they were colonies 50+ years ago and some Brits set up some cricket clubs there.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Obviously Gambia know the rules of cricket.

Also it’s a particularly ironic thing that Zimbabwean fans complain that the big three don’t want to play us but then they look down on smaller teams when we have to play them.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Btw, mad respect to the Gambian players in my opinion. Had to forfeit their first two matches because they didn’t have visas in time (presumably no support from their non existent board), they don’t even have proper kit - pretty sure they are soccer shirts they are playing in. The commentator remarked that many of the players were playing in trainers without cricket spikes today. They didn’t even have a physio. ‘Coach’ doubling up as their team manager and doing everything. Not getting paid a cent for any of this.

Got absolutely slaughtered, but kept their heads and tried their best until the final ball, kept their heads up and played fairly.

Presumably for no other reason other than the fact they enjoy the game and the chance to represent their country is an honour.

But some Bangladeshi man in America reckons they shouldn’t be able to.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Last edited by zimfan1 on Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes I can only imagine how much it meant to them to play against somebody like Raza. We take our funding for granted.

Marumani will probably enter out top 10 T20i run scorers in the next month. Puts a lot into perspective. I can only hope that this gives him some confidence. He is slowly creeping up to an average of 20 :lol: he can take heart that Raza doubled his average from 13 to 26 in a space of 2 years.

Bennett and Myers are slowly moving up the ranks as well. Real statpadding here. Bennett has an insane strike rate of 154. The 12th highest for full member nations. I can give him his credit because he did smoke some sixes against India too

Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Pat_Bee »

Seychelles captain can have a shout out too. Aged 52, that’s like 14 years older than Ervine and Williams who were retired for being over the hill :lol:

Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Pat_Bee »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:25 pm

Over 100 countries play cricket and want to play cricket and I hate that 10 countries decide whether the other 90 are allowed to play in certain tournaments or have certain ‘status’ all because they were colonies 50+ years ago and some Brits set up some cricket clubs there.
Football belongs to everyone, it’s universal.

Cricket is old fashioned and quintessentially British. BCCI/ICC are the frontmen of the operation, however, all the strings are still pulled at Lords by the MCC.

You can’t be some young upstart flapping jaws about King Charles then expect automatic qualification to a 24 team ICC World Cup. It doesn’t work like that :lol: :lol: we haven’t played England for 20 years because uncle Bob was getting too big for his boots. You wouldn’t get that level of pettiness in any other sport.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:15 pm
Just to emphasize...I just went to FIFA's website for maybe the third time in my life. They've got rankings, but there isn't even a "statistics" tab on their homepage...thats how quantitatively boring a sport that foot fetish thing is :lol:

They've got a motherfucking "legal" tab at FIFA...but not a stats one. Thats how NOT interested a human could be in even trying to quantify that game, lmao.

Meanwhile...the statsguru feature on cricinfo is pure gold.
WTF are you on about.

Opta, Oracle are two of the biggest football stats websites. They measure everything short of how much a player shits.

Football is the biggest sport in the world, your hatred is weird.