Race Storm Hits Zim Cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Race Storm Hits Zim Cricket

Post by FlowerPower »

Ming wrote:Hhm, I hear you, but I am not the one being naive and confusing many allegations (Taylor denying Vitori, Streak denying Matsi, Jarvis racially abusing an umpire) with facts. Goebbels once said that if you repeat a lie a sufficient amount of times, it becomes truth. Maybe that's what's being attempted here. If we want to move on, we have to do so in another way than throwing around press releases, and getting rent-a-crowd/reporter to ululate more loudly than the adversary's rent-a-crowd. These allegations are serious, and need to be treated seriously, both intellectually (an allegation does not become a fact until indubitable proof is laid out) and institutionally. Independent commission of inquiry, anyone?

PS Do not think I'm necessarily a fan of Coltart's, but I repeat that Makoni supped off the gravy train and ate to his hearts content whilst the alleged incidents were taking place. If he didn't stick his neck out when they allegedly took place, then we can say that he aided and abetted a system which he is now denouncing.
Was about to say the same thing, well put Ming
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Ming wrote:PS Do not think I'm necessarily a fan of Coltart's, but I repeat that Makoni supped off the gravy train and ate to his hearts content whilst the alleged incidents were taking place. If he didn't stick his neck out when they allegedly took place, then we can say that he aided and abetted a system which he is now denouncing.
That is correct.

One think we have learned, I think, is that whatever agreement/deal/trade-off Bvute and AC initially came to it was only a truce, not a full-scale peace agreement. Political and other differences and mistrust have remained (and will not simply evapourate into thin air) but were kept in check/under the blanket. Now that hostilities have resumed in certain quarters it's up to everyone involved in ZC to broker another ceasefire before things get out of hand.

There is no use in gleefully pouring oil into the fire, hhm. As others have pointed out, only cricket stands to suffer.

lloydwinini
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by lloydwinini »

If we kip this up we'll definetly end up in 2004 again... jus saying. if taylor gets sacked then the others follow. this dispute has nothing to do with cricket. dont u see it? its all politics and Zimbabwean politics always hurts Zimbabwe Cricket. this is the worst timing they could have possibly chosen to have their political dance-off

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Zimbabwe has worked hard to iron out its differences. I see something happening akin to the rebel fallout happening pretty soon if this is not sorted. Why are people saying things about taylor denying vitori 5 wickets in his test debut??? they guy bowled 24 overs which is a lot considering he had little first class experience, in fact he bowled 8 more than jarvis in the first innings. maybe taylor thought he needed a rest. Jesus christ there is some mad conspiracy theories out there :o

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

Taylor attempting to deny Vitori glory, or Streak sabotaging Matsi are just points mentioned to add weight to the writer's opinion. They count for little in seeking to resolve anything, but they do serve to show how cruel certain individuals are. I haven't dwelt on them myself to argue for the key points at hand.

Jarvis abusing a black umpire, on the other hand, is a fact according to Makoni/Moyo, which is why he confidently went on record in national media, knowing fully well it can be verified. Don't forget the batsmen's potential testimony as well. It's commonplace down here for parents, or players like their stupid parents, to racially abuse black school officials, we see and hear it ourselves almost every weekend. They don't behave that way towards white officials. It happens so often but it's deliberately ignored, or not reported on by the white capitalist media as often as it happens. Contrary to what you may know, we've got some of the worst old and young white people in this country, it's not just the apartheid generation. If you understand Afrikaans, you're welcome to pay the odd isolated match a visit. There's been reports even at FC and Provincial rugby and cricket level. An entire team of white players didn't want Taibu to play for crying out loud, and apparently there are witnesses to prove it. So personally, race aside, I wouldn't be surprised if Jarvis did that. He wouldn't be the first Zimbabwean to misbehave in a domestic match. The Umpires/Referee's report as well as the DC's report will contain what he actually said, or apologised for if he did.

The only time Makoni will be implicated or doubted with justification, is if they have something to say about him 'turning a blind eye to it', only then will there be something that he has to answer to. Until such a time, you are merely simplifying the matter by saying why keep quiet until now. All you're doing is purely speculating out of hope. The way I see it, the actual reports give evidence of his resistance to all these actions. So for as long as he remained in his position, he was able to block them like the Utseya-Price incident. Now that they are kicking him out, he is no longer in a position to maintain order, so he's exposing them.

That is why Bayhaus implied that this may have been an understanding between Ozias and AC only(inevitably extending to Grant, Heath etc since he's connected to them), but Makoni is upsetting the apple cart! I maintain he's a victim. That's certainly the pattern developing from this clumsy exercise which Coltart thoughtlessly sucked himself into.

Your reasoning is akin to saying "why didn't Vitori threaten to block Price's path or stand up to Taylor", or "Utseya & Elton spill the beans themselves immediately after the game"; and perhaps "Matsi should have refused to walk off the field with Heath at the time and stood his ground"! If they later express this, which they will have to, is that what your view of things will be? Essentially, that's what your assessment of Makoni amounts to!

Lyod, Lawrence Moyo the reporter says it's on record that Taylor conspired with Butcher to have Makoni's decision illegally undermined by telephoning Campbell. It's normal for the coach and travelling selector to have differences in opinion, but the selector's decision is final, and superior. What's not normal is for these tactics to be employed in an attempt to deceive someone whom they think is too stupid to know the facts. With all this in mind it's obvious Utseya, and a lot of his team-mates who are Black and the majority, are aware of the matter, and not happy about it. It's also clear that a national selector felt undermined by a boy who ran to his pals so to speak. With that in mind, if Taylor is relieved of his duties, I don't think his team-mates will be unhappy, vindicated perhaps.

If the others leave because of this, and perhaps the absolute firing of AC as well, then good riddance! Likewise those who walk away in support/protest are just as evil. I would have to be a fool to bemoan casualties of corrective and disciplinary action taken for the good of Zimbabwe Cricket going forward. This is totally different to the Rebel Saga.

NB: I know Sharuko has been questionably involved in the whole ZIFA-soccer national team fiasco. I'm also aware that for a time Lawrence Moyo has reported positively about the ZC board and been rewarded. However, his relationship with ZC bigwigs and ZC itself hasn't been rosy for a very long time. One would argue that he had grown critical of them and their policies, much to the liking of the Rebel/White camp. Consider this in trying to lump him as a rent-a-crowd/reporter. A Ndebele(Moyo) and a Shona(Sharuko) seldom both agree on a matter so boldly. The signs are ominous for the AC-Coltart camp.

jimbo, it's a second fiver in the 2nd ODI against Bangladesh. Nobody said anything about Tests. ;)
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

aydee

Post by aydee »

One thing is for sure... 2 50s on test debut is probably one of the most worthless non-stat that anyone could come up with. Definitely irrelevant, and even if Matsi did care slightly at the time, I would bet anything that he doesn't now...

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

People can say all sorts of things on either side of the race faction, Why was Duffin sacked on the eve of the bangladesh internationals for the quiet and reserved Utseya? he didnt do a bad job and dont think anyone else would have done much better in the west indies with a very inexperienced squad circa 2005.
Chigs,ustseya and matsi havent been in form for a while now and matsi can feel very lucky to be around the zimbabwe squad having a very average test and odi record. However I would bring in mushangwe or mutombodzi for utseya. If zimbabwe had the batters to score 300+ in every odi you would see utseya's worth a bit more as a container but sub standard batting in zims innings means that attacking spinners like Cremer are needed

bayhaus

Post by bayhaus »

A commission is exactly what ZC needs. Independent and ruthless. Playesr, Admin. Past players. And I will say it if cricket has to DIE before it can get up then so be it. Else this will just come up again after 5 years again and will just become a cycle.

I really couldn't believe that GF, AC, HS would come back to ZC without some serious trade offs. You couldnt sell me that 'love of cricket' pie for $Z1! And sure enough it became evident. AC and Bvute running a company together who would have thought? Love of cricket? year right!
is that whatever agreement/deal/trade-off Bvute and AC initially came to it was only a truce, not a full-scale peace agreement.
Thats why we need a commission to bury the past forever at the moment people just packed the case in suitcases at the back of the cribs and waited for a rainy day and that rainy day has come for Makoni. Am sure all of them have their suitcases shut up somewhere waiting for that rainy day. I say lets officially call for that rainy day and everyone bring out their suitcases and empty them in front of a commission. There will be casualties, and the players will suffer, but i think its better that this issue is resolved once and for all.
hhm wrote: or Streak sabotaging Matsi are just points mentioned to add weight to the writer's opinion.
I once said that Streak was dissappointed by Mupariwa being the fastest to 50 wickets and he couldn't stomach the idea of a 'trundler' holding that record.Initially i thought it was streak's record that had been broken. Anyway my point being i wouldn't give this a second thought but from what I have heard about streak, not surprising anymore. One day it may come out what he had to say about Querl, and you will see he's not such a knight who has the players/game at heart.
Last edited by bayhaus on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

Ming

Post by Ming »

bayhaus wrote:A commission is exactly what ZC needs. Independent and ruthless. Playesr, Admin. Past players. And I will say it if cricket has to DIE before it can get up then so be it. Else this will just come up again after 5 years again and will just become a cycle.
Exactly. And until all issues are exposed in this manner, we will never be able to escape your-word-versus-my-word allegations when someone feels hard done by.

Conspiracy theory #36789: Utseya deliberately denied Coventry his double century. My fourth cousins's wife's paediatrician's assistant said so. :D
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Ming wrote:Conspiracy theory #36789: Utseya deliberately denied Coventry his double century. My fourth cousins's wife's paediatrician's assistant said so. :D
:lol: :lol: