Lara Becomes ZC 'Batting Consultant'

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Lara Becomes ZC 'Batting Consultant'

Post by Conant »

liamb wrote:I don't know the full details of Lara's contract. But it just seems as though ZC are paying an obscene amount of money to be associated with someone's name. Good PR won't win cricket matches. Also, what coaching qualifications does Lara have? With geniuses of his sort, it can often be very hard - if not impossible - to relate to an average player. His batting excellence didn't help West Indies when he played for them, it was just the Lara show.
It does win friends and influence though, and PR like that does cost money, but in the wider picture it will be money well spent.

Remember Lara is a brand.
Obviously better a sincere and genuine man like Sachin Tendulkar rather than supernova Brian Lara, but still. There will he hit and misses, but for now I think the hits have been more important
Last edited by Conant on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

I have to dig up the relevant article again, but I did read that the contract was for *hours* of Lara's input - not days or weeks, *hours*. On those sort of timescales, the amount of real impact he's going to have will be minimal, and certainly no threat to Grant Flower's role. It is about the prestige of the name, of having the Great Brian Lara support our Test return, and little more than that. But as others have said, sometimes money spent on PR is worth it's weight in gold...

haru-party

Post by haru-party »

really good news for zim cricket specialy when u r on the verge of returning to the test cricket.....ur board is doing good job u should appreciate it

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

haru-party wrote:really good news for zim cricket specialy when u r on the verge of returning to the test cricket.....ur board is doing good job u should appreciate it
Good point. In fact I think both Bvute and Chingoka have done a splendid job in rehabilitating Zimbabwean Cricket over the past year and a half say...Good on them