ICC Men's T20 World Cup Africa Sub-regional Qualifier

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: ICC Men's T20 World Cup Africa Sub-regional Qualifier

Post by Pat_Bee »

Omg :lol: :lol:

Jay shades needs to do some hard yards, one blistering NPL doesn’t cut it. That would be like picking Cephas on the back of his explosive 254 in some random Devonshire village league last year.

Faraz is curious, he averages like 100 or something with the ball in his 9 t20i’s but he’s averaging 30 and striking at 150 with the bat. He’s failing at what he’s picked for, however he’s still contributing. He’s in this squad at least, on merit for me, if they bat him a little higher and move Ponzo up now Williams is retired. Makes space for a genuine 3rd quick.

Jonno needs to suck it up. You only see fan bois flapping jaws about bias when a murungu is overlooked, never when a brother like Munyonga, who has heart and a winning mentality hasn’t been seen for a while.

Trust the process, old salamander knows what he’s doing.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Interview given by David Mutendera in 2020.

Credits: Eddie Chikamhi - The Herald

Former Zimbabwe international cricketer, David Mutendera, says black players needed to be twice, as good as their white counterparts, for them to break into the Chevrons.

The details of a grim past of racism, in domestic cricket, are beginning to emerge.

Mutendera, a victim of the crooked system of the late ‘90s, had a promising career derailed despite the abundant talent which saw him make his Test debut at only 21.

For those who saw him in action, back then, there was no doubt he was one for the future, especially after setting himself up with that fine show during the 1998 ICC World Cup in South Africa.

But, it appears, the system did not just target him alone.

There were many black players — the likes of Trevor Madondo, Mluleki Nkala, and Moses Chitare — who many believe could have made it regularly into the team were it not for an unwritten code.

The code appeared to say that there should be not more than two players of colour, in the national team, at once.

Mutendera, who is now a Zimbabwe Cricket selector, opened up during a cricket podcast with Dean Du Plessis.

“I always wanted not to think that way, just because I was a non-white player, so I had to make way,’’ the 41-year-old said.

“But it looked like that way . . . To be honest with you, the only time I played with two non-whites, it was myself and a batsman.

“I was a bowler, as you know, and that time was when we played Australia, we had (a batsman) Trevor Madondo in and myself as a seamer.

“We never had an attack which had two non-white guys opening the bowling for Zimbabwe, which I always found strange and very disappointing.

“You knew that you were always fighting with another black person for a place in the team.

“So, I think, our selection (as black players) was based on one spot in the team. Disappointing, really, but such was the situation then.

“You couldn’t be vocal about it because you didn’t want to be victimised.

“But to be honest, it was devastating and frustrating. That’s why only a few of them (black players) made it then.’’

He said everything was just done quietly.

“There was no time where it was said we are going top pick (the squad) according to merit,’’ he said.

“If, it was going to be three black players forming the bowling attack for Zimbabwe, and two other batsmen, then it could have been fair.

“But, that’s how it was, it was difficult for us.

“Some people might think otherwise, but it was very difficult. We just had to be twice as good as the white players to actually make the team.

“Even in first class cricket, we had to take a lot of wickets. I had to make the World XI team for me to recognised, so that I could play for the national team.’’

He had caught the eye of the selectors at the 1998 World Cup, where he bowled his quickest, sometimes clocking 145km/hr.

Mutendera’s performances earned him a place in the tournament’s World XI that included future stars like Andrew Flintoff of England and West Indies’ great Chris Gayle.

But such were the depths of the racism in the Chevrons that, at one point, a senior white player threatened to boycott a match after Mutendera had been picked to make his Test debut ahead of his preferred choice.

This was to be his one and only Test for Zimbabwe.

“Sometimes, they played eleven white players in that team and you had guys, who deserved to be in there, sitting or carrying drinks.

“It’s disappointing, it was a tough world for us.

“Back then, I remember Trevor (Madondo) was one of the guys who could bat. There were quite a number of guys who could bat properly.

“There was a youngster called Alistair Maregwede, there was Shepherd Makunura, Moses Chitare.

“All those guys never got recognition because it was so tough breaking into that batting line-up because it was just reserved for the special boys.

“And, for us to even make that team, it didn’t go well with some certain players.’’

He still remembers the nightmare that came with his first Test.

“I can go back to my first Test; it was horrible. We had players not wanting to play because I was selected,’’ he said.

“There I was, as a 20-year-old having been picked by the selectors to play in a Test match, and then you have one senior player saying I am not playing because ‘why is David Mutendera being picked’?

“Because I am black? I have never mentioned this, but my Test debut was horrible.

“I actually don’t like to talk about it, but it’s something that’s always on the back on my mind.

“It’s a sad situation when you have players having a voice on who should be in the team, or threatening to boycott because a certain player of colour has been selected, and why is it that my buddy is not playing.’’

Twenty years later, the subtle effects are still being felt.

The issues of racism in cricket, which have also been hitting headlines in South Africa, have once again come to the fore.

But, unlike in South Africa, it seems Zimbabwe have managed to make great strides in addressing the racial issues.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

My ass he bowled 145kph. He was a 75mph trundler who has a chip on his shoulder.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That old interview is Mutendira's chip in a nutshell.
The reality was that he was always marginal at best, despite the fact that he thinks he was Michael Holding.
All he's doing is returning the favor to people that had nothing to do with it. It's like reparations for slavery :lol:

So many inconsistencies in Mutendira's explanation of selection policies.
The fact that he's been told he needs to speak up means there's rightfully been big question marks over selections, and not from anyone that knows anything about cricket because that's never bothered them in the past :lol:
If they're going to single out Campbell's batting flaws I could write an epistle on everyone else's. His main flaw to date has been running himself out on O.
Jonno, take a breath before you set off on a suicide single! OK that's out of the way. :lol:
He's saying he's got a flaw but he's not at liberty to say what it is :lol: What bullshit is that? :lol:

If he's got a flaw (other than running himself out) that they believe won't stand up to the stern scrutiny of international cricket in the long term then how does he explain the repeated failures of most of our batters that have a proven track record of failure over a large number of games?
Look he's probably going to fail vs look they've already failed for years, but fuck it let's keep trying them :lol: . Please tell me nobody believes that bullshit :lol:

Larry just gives him an easy time of it. Just ask some direct questions-
How is Faraz repeatedly getting picked? He's a div 2 clubbie at best. If Sammonds rubber stamped him then we're in deep shit and he's not fixing anything.
How many more games are Madande, Madhevere and Maru going to get before they move on?
Does Wes have to be drug free to play or have they made an exception for him?

If they're not going to look at NPL for selections then by the same token does a 50 against Rwanda or Seychelles count for anything? We know the answer to that. A solid run a ball 20 from any one of these guys and they're penned in for the next 2 years.
I mean if you're not going to look at a game between Rangers and Takas for example, where there are about 16 Zim players on the field and 30k on the line, then what are you going to look at?

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:47 pm
That old interview is Mutendira's chip in a nutshell.
The reality was that he was always marginal at best, despite the fact that he thinks he was Michael Holding.
All he's doing is returning the favor to people that had nothing to do with it. It's like reparations for slavery :lol:

So many inconsistencies in Mutendira's explanation of selection policies.
The fact that he's been told he needs to speak up means there's rightfully been big question marks over selections, and not from anyone that knows anything about cricket because that's never bothered them in the past :lol:
If they're going to single out Campbell's batting flaws I could write an epistle on everyone else's. His main flaw to date has been running himself out on O.
Jonno, take a breath before you set off on a suicide single! OK that's out of the way. :lol:
He's saying he's got a flaw but he's not at liberty to say what it is :lol: What bullshit is that? :lol:

If he's got a flaw (other than running himself out) that they believe won't stand up to the stern scrutiny of international cricket in the long term then how does he explain the repeated failures of most of our batters that have a proven track record of failure over a large number of games?
Look he's probably going to fail vs look they've already failed for years, but fuck it let's keep trying them :lol: . Please tell me nobody believes that bullshit :lol:

Larry just gives him an easy time of it. Just ask some direct questions-
How is Faraz repeatedly getting picked? He's a div 2 clubbie at best. If Sammonds rubber stamped him then we're in deep shit and he's not fixing anything.
How many more games are Madande, Madhevere and Maru going to get before they move on?
Does Wes have to be drug free to play or have they made an exception for him?

If they're not going to look at NPL for selections then by the same token does a 50 against Rwanda or Seychelles count for anything? We know the answer to that. A solid run a ball 20 from any one of these guys and they're penned in for the next 2 years.
I mean if you're not going to look at a game between Rangers and Takas for example, where there are about 16 Zim players on the field and 30k on the line, then what are you going to look at?
Good points me old Googly

Thing is madhevere was catapulted into the side on the basis of an under 19 world cup but without any franchise cricket. Myers at least had some nice scores before he was put in. However don't hate the player hate the game.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Glad to hear Ervine and Williams are still in mix. Hope to see them against Pakistan in November.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I would absolutely love them both to be in the mix for the 2027 CWV

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

The narrative is all 'Madhevere will score 50 against the Seychelles and therefore guarantee he keeps getting picked for another three years'.

But to be honest I am sat here thinking Madhevere will not score 50 against the Seychelles.

Donald

Post by Donald »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:49 pm
I would absolutely love them both to be in the mix for the 2027 CWV
You never know. Ervines swansong may well be against England in next years test.

Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Pat_Bee »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:48 pm
The narrative is all 'Madhevere will score 50 against the Seychelles and therefore guarantee he keeps getting picked for another three years'.

But to be honest I am sat here thinking Madhevere will not score 50 against the Seychelles.
I’d bet the tobacco farm on him not doing that :lol: