Price v Utseya (in tests)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Price v Utseya (in tests)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Exactly. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the game plan is for Price to completely tie up on end while Lamb bowls a more attacking line from the other - and to some extent that is working as Lamb has looked very threatening despite going for a few runs.

I'm really surprised at how quickly people are writing Price off when he's bowling superbly! I think people are panicking that Zimbabwe aren't tearing through this lineup but it's worth remembering it took Pakistan 150 overs to take 10 wickets. It's a batting paradise. Not to mention that Price did pick up wickets in the Bangladesh Test, and when he was given the license to be an attacking bowler around 2003-04 he was one of the most successful bowlers in Test cricket...

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Greg Lamb, who was Zimbabwe's highest wicket-taker with three scalps, got a fair amount of turn on the third day, but it was the veteran Ray Price who according to Ali "made the difference." Price conceded 29 runs off his first 30 overs and proved almost impossible to get away.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

cock
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by cock »

I would not even consider Utseya over Price. Price has performed his duties in this current test perfectly. Test cricket is about bowling in partnerships and if Price had not bowled so tight from the one end the Pakistan batsman would not have been forced to attack the bowling from the opposite end which resulted in that bowler taking the wickets. Greg Lamb can thank Ray Price's tight bowling for his wickets.

Maweni
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Maweni »

All this talk about tying up one end is fair enough but THIS IS TEST CRICKET-you need him to take some wickets on a spinning track. Swan holds up an end and takes wickets-Utseya might be able to do that better than Price. Utseya is MUCH better than you people make him out to be-it's ridiculous how underrated he is on this forum, but what I love about the guy is that he keeps shaming you people; as he will do when he gets his chance. It's funny how it's just inconceivable for some of you that Price just isn't good enough or doing a good enough job.

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

Maweni I think you are changing Price's job description and then blaming him for it. Listening to the Pakistanis themselves, it was Price who was of most concern.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe-v- ... 31142.html
Greg Lamb, who was Zimbabwe's highest wicket-taker with three scalps, got a fair amount of turn on the third day, but it was the veteran Ray Price who according to Ali "made the difference." Price conceded 29 runs off his first 30 overs and proved almost impossible to get away. Ali started having trouble against him yesterday and arrived at the ground early on the third morning to work on his strategy for facing Price. ...

Price got no reward, in wicket-terms, for his strangling effort, but was not concerned with the number in that particular column. "It's my job to try and keep the runs down so I have to do that," he said. "We were happy that they didn't score too quickly."

eugene

Post by eugene »

It IS inconceivable that Price isn't good enough - because he is good enough.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I'm also backing price all the way.

He is a world class player spinner. He bowled 50 overs and among them 24 overs were maiden. Nowadays it's hardly seen and it's not an easy task at all. It's unfortunate that early he didn't pick up enough wickets. But I have to admit that he was troubling Pakistani batsmen or they would have easily taken him on.

I'm also a little bit concerned. Price should be used as an attacking option just like he was used in 2003/04. For me, I think it's a tactical problem. He was bowling exceptionally well, there's no doubt. But he should look for wickets more. But we have to consider that Zimbabwe was out of test arena for 5 years. It's just the 2nd test Zimbabwe is playing after the gap. Don't make decision in a rush or you can loss the best bowler of Zimbabwe. Give some time to Price !

Utseya is doing very well in the ODIs. But I also don't see him as a test spinner. Graeme Cremer is 2nd in the list for me after Price. Utseya may be 3rd.

Bowling department in test cricket has to have variety. The bowling attack used against Pakistan is the most accurate one for me.

I can remember, when Suraj Randiv played for Sri Lanka ahead of Ajantha Mendis against Australia, the Aussie batsmen were much relieved as it was Mendis who was a genuine threat for them. Hope Zimbabwe won't make the same mistake with Price...

And here Pakistani batsmen are saying that Price did cause problems for them...

sillymid
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by sillymid »

Then what does Utseya have to do to get into the team? He clearly out perfomed Price since the warm-ups against Aus A. Not long ago we were blaming Utseya for the same reasons that we are praising Price for 'economical but not taking wickets'. With this kind of thinking i wouldnt be surprised to see Cremer walking straight into the team to partner Price when he recovers.

Yes Price is experienced, he is good motivation for the team and we have always viewed him as a Test bowler as opposed to Utseya. Its not that i want him to be replaced permanently, but if our selection is perfomance based then Prosper should be in against NewZealand. I cant imagine a Zim test team without Price but if the figures are showing otherwise then i would rather go with the figures.

I am impressed by how Prosper raised his game especialy in the longer format. He is our biggest hope for a more balanced team in the future because his batting has been good of late. I think he deserves a place in the side

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

sillymid wrote:Then what does Utseya have to do to get into the team? He clearly out perfomed Price since the warm-ups against Aus A.
He hasn't.

Since the Australia A games, Utseya has 11 wickets from 6 games:

0/39 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
1/65 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
3/47 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
1/42 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
1/45 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
2/47, 3/25 vs Bangladeshis (3-day)

Price also has 11 wickets from 6 games:

2/69, 2/35 vs Pakistan (Test)
3/51 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
1/35 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
0/38 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
1/44 vs Bangladesh (ODI)
2/34, 0/20 vs Bangladesh (Test)

I guess it could be argued Price has had an extra innings to take wickets in, but some of Price's wickets include the Pakistan Test while Utseya's only came against Bangladesh. So Utseya hasn't clearly outperformed Price.

I understand your point about being economical but not taking wickets, but I think that was the game plan. Price tied up one end while Lamb bowled a more attacking line from the other; I think Lamb even said as much in one of his end of day interview when he said he would have still liked to have gone for less runs himself. I didn't see the Pakistan second innings on TV, but he picked up quick wickets then and I'd hazard a guess he was bowling a less defensive stump-to-stump line than he did in the first innings for that very reason.

Maweni
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Maweni »

sillymid wrote:Then what does Utseya have to do to get into the team? He clearly out perfomed Price since the warm-ups against Aus A. Not long ago we were blaming Utseya for the same reasons that we are praising Price for 'economical but not taking wickets'. With this kind of thinking i wouldnt be surprised to see Cremer walking straight into the team to partner Price when he recovers.

Yes Price is experienced, he is good motivation for the team and we have always viewed him as a Test bowler as opposed to Utseya. Its not that i want him to be replaced permanently, but if our selection is perfomance based then Prosper should be in against NewZealand. I cant imagine a Zim test team without Price but if the figures are showing otherwise then i would rather go with the figures.

I am impressed by how Prosper raised his game especialy in the longer format. He is our biggest hope for a more balanced team in the future because his batting has been good of late. I think he deserves a place in the side
No point arguing Prosper's cause, some people are just satisfied with mediocrity as long as it's familiar.