Streak mentions Ed, Mutombodzi for WI; talks about Querl

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Streak mentions Ed, Mutombodzi for WI; talks about Querl

Post by foreignfield »

lange22 wrote:This doesn't make sense to me:
“He has to undergo tests, but unfortunately there is no one qualified for that in Zim. It’s not a simple thing. You need to go to a sports science institution and gets analysed. It a decision that affects a career, so you got to do it properly.”
The University of WA in Perth are world leaders in this field and gave Murali's action the all clear in the 2000s after the rules were changed. He had the video analysis with the wires and computer monitoring when he was bowling. How hard would it be to organise this? Surely it would justify the cost, we're talking about a front line bowler for an international team.
Does the ICC cover the bills when someone is reported for a suspect action on the international stage?

There was some talk about Querl being cleared in England, did that involve testing? But even if got the all-clear from say Loughborough University I'm afraid the ICC and the ECB seem to be at loggerheads about testing methods (read about that somewhere a while ago).

bayhaus

Post by bayhaus »

“He has to undergo tests, but unfortunately there is no one qualified for that in Zim. It’s not a simple thing. You need to go to a sports science institution and gets analysed. It a decision that affects a career, so you got to do it properly.”
This is a huge statement. Streak is unclear of the legitimacy of Querl's bowling action. That could be one reason why he is not showing much interest about his national availability. And it is a shame if he has played with this cloud over him, and has affected the results as much as he has done domestically.Why can't ZC get this cleared with for the benefit of everyone involved?
Well Streak is basically saying "YES he does have a suspect action of which I am not confident he will pass any test so we will not waste anymore money".
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

bayhaus wrote:Well Streak is basically saying "YES he does have a suspect action of which I am not confident he will pass any test so we will not waste anymore money".
Streak is Querl's coach at the Tuskers, Querl is picking up wickets at a crazy rate, and yet Streak is not able to come out and say "I've been an international seam bowlers for years, I've bowled alongside and batted against bowlers with various actions. My assessment is that Querl is a terrific bowler who will be a huge asset for Zimbabwe, I firmly believe in him and I have no doubts whatsoever about the legality of his action. We can confidently select him and give him the new ball to wreck havoc, and it will be up to the opposition captain and the umpires to call him otherwise".

Granted CrimsonAvenger has rightly termed it a huge statement. However, where the heavy bias of certain 'forumites' is evident is in their overlooking this, to the point of wanting ZC to champion the addressing of this situation. I doubt the same position would've been adopted if Querl was Chatara! Streak not putting his head on the line, yet you guys who have NEVER seen Querl are diving in blindly! :shock: :?

What I've said before is that if Querl is called for chucking, then the same should have applied to Blignaut. They have similar actions. A very suspicious wrist position(always wondered why Blignaut could be hovering around 128kph-130kph and suddenly be operating 140-142kph)! Perhaps that's why he didn't survive in SA.
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

aydee

Post by aydee »

Querl would be fine. His action is a fraction jerky, but I don't think it is illegal. I highly doubt that he would have played on the county circuit (albeit for an amateur side) for 3 years without issue if his action was clearly illegal.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

hhm wrote:What I've said before is that if Querl is called for chucking, then the same should have applied to Blignaut. They have similar actions.
If that is true, then Querl's action should be fine. We have watched a lot of Blignaut and there was absolutely nothing wrong with his action.

To Streak's defense, he has no reason to proactively put a spanner in the career of a cricketer in his current role, specially since he is his coach at provincial as well as national level. He could as well work with him on the action, which I hope he is doing, but It is the job of the umpires of the local matches and opposition captains and coaches to report the action if they feel the need. Streak has every right to defend his player. And yes, be it Querl or (previously) Mahwire or anyone for that matter. My mention of ZC was from the angle of the people who have the right, needing to report it, and not the administration itself.

bayhaus

Post by bayhaus »

CrimsonAvenger wrote: To Streak's defense, he has no reason to 1. proactively put a spanner in the career of a cricketer in his current role, specially since he is his coach at provincial as well as national level. He 2. could as well work with him on the action, which I hope he is doing, but 3. It is the job of the umpires of the local matches and opposition captains and coaches to report the action if they feel the need. 4. Streak has every right to defend his player. And yes, be it Querl or (previously) Mahwire or anyone for that matter. My mention of ZC was from the angle of the people who have the right, needing to report it, and not the administration itself.
1. Streak is concerned about winning for his franchise.
2. If he was concerned yes, he would help. No he is not helping with the action.
3. Absolutely agree right here. The players and umpires should but its that fear factor that makes them not act cos they assume that if streak is playing him then they must be wrong. The umpires can make the call and if he is proved wrong so be it cos how many reversed decisions do we see.
4. Yes he has if he has NO doubt that he is chucking. But if he has the slightest doubt then he is being irresponsible by not doing anything to help (Which is the current status quo)
5. I say fast track his passport, and let him play on the international scene, after getting 5/25 the imperialists will certainly be scrutanising his action.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

I agree with CrimsonAvenger, it's not for Streak to finish a young bowler's career by some big statements.

Like it not hhm, this is the second decade of the 21th century, where the sensitive issue of chucking is not decided by how big your balls or resentments are, and rightly so. We all know what Murali had to go through in Australia ... Technology has clearly demonstrated that each and every bowler, even those with the purest actions, throw to some degree, hence the 15 degree rule (an arbitrary figure to be sure) has been introduced to sort the acceptable from the unacceptable actions. And there is not a person on this earth who can tell the difference between, say, a 12 degrees or a 16 degrees straightening without the help of technology.

To the naked eye Saeed Ajmal throws his doosra like a skilled handball winger spinning the ball around the goalie (if that makes any sense to a cricket/rugby audience ;) ), but he has been tested and cleared.

From memory of last years Stanbic T20 Querl has indeed a "jerky" action (aydee), but so has Vitori who has been fine on the international stage so far.

bayhaus is right,
let him play on the international scene, after getting 5/25 the imperialists will certainly be scrutanising his action

aydee

Post by aydee »

foreignfield wrote:
From memory of last years Stanbic T20 Querl has indeed a "jerky" action (aydee), but so has Vitori who has been fine on the international stage so far.
Good shout. Brian's action is also far from "pure", but as you say, no problems so far. In my opinion Querl's action is no worse than Vitori's from a legality perspective.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7DDLs0kXww got some footage here of querl bowling for the unicorns.

lange22

Post by lange22 »

For what its worth, from 'instinct' there would have to be doubts over the delivery he bowled at 4:28, although on second look it is sus but not so bad. The other delivery at 4:37 looks fine. However as mentioned earlier, it is difficult to know unless proper testing is done

The thing is that again I think it is unfair for his coach/administration to say don't pick him for the international side because he may be a chucker. That's the concern. Find out first whether he is a chucker, and help him work on his action. Being found out to be a chucker doesn't necessarily destroy a career. He is only young.