nathan waller why is he a forgotten man

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
matland
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: nathan waller why is he a forgotten man

Post by matland »

You have 8 Harare clubs and 6 Bulawayo clubs feed a 4 pointed franchise system. Roughly one in 5 club players thereabout play first class professionally.

Sadly I would argue that Bulawayo only has four first league sides?

BMCAtreasurer
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BMCAtreasurer »

Sadly I would argue that Bulawayo only has four first league sides?

Maybe even 3??! :D

We need to focus on our strengths which is a high percentage of excellent cricketers produced in a small player pool.(yes we do lose most of them to other nations) But if we could nurture them into high performance centres and give them guaranteed short/medium and long term goals. Then we could easily be within the top 8.
For too long we have been focusing on quantity of cricketers in the province instead of the all important quality of cricketers.

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by gargamel »

The facts on the ground is that there are growing murmurs and grumblings from associate provinces of being marginalized and being excluded from main stream cricket.There is some real talent in the associates where i believe that we could unveil that much needed 140+ bowler from Chipinge or Hwange. The club system in Harare has four competitive sides which have contributed to the Eagles and Mountaineers setup. This years competitiveness within the Vigne Cup has seen the Eagles dominate and win all three trophies on offer. The concept is to have the league run concurently with the Franchise season, have games played through out the season and use players stats as part of the selection basis. Closing the gap in Franchise is to have at least 4 rounds of FC cricket and at least the same number round of 50 over games should help close the gap between Franchise and International cricket
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

aydee

Post by aydee »

gargamel wrote:The facts on the ground is that there are growing murmurs and grumblings from associate provinces of being marginalized and being excluded from main stream cricket.There is some real talent in the associates where i believe that we could unveil that much needed 140+ bowler from Chipinge or Hwange. The club system in Harare has four competitive sides which have contributed to the Eagles and Mountaineers setup. This years competitiveness within the Vigne Cup has seen the Eagles dominate and win all three trophies on offer. The concept is to have the league run concurently with the Franchise season, have games played through out the season and use players stats as part of the selection basis. Closing the gap in Franchise is to have at least 4 rounds of FC cricket and at least the same number round of 50 over games should help close the gap between Franchise and International cricket
They are extremely marginalised. I think this competition is an excellent concept. Zimdoggy, I'm suggesting that it should have FC status.

Also, 4 rounds (If maintaining only 4 franchises) of FC and 50 over games is essential in my view. 6 games isn't remotely sufficient. Double would probably be about right. 5 teams with 3 rounds seems the perfect balance to me. Like it was when franchise cricket started.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Can anyone answer why doesn't Nathan Waller ball anymore ? Due to injury ?

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Yip tore his pectoral.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I struggle to see why everything has to be organized by ZC.
Boozer's League is better run than ZC by a country mile, and by definition they're just a bunch of drunks.
The reason why this is all doomed to fail is because you're wasting scarce resources trying to find a 140 guy from kamusha, our very own Gokwe Express! You have got significantly more chance of finding Nyaminyami.
The guys who were good at school need to be nurtured, that increases the odds of success dramatically.
Trying to find a gem that's been overlooked and coincidentally never really played any cricket to speak of is so tremendously stupid, even by ZC's standards.
The gap is between Franchise and International. It's not a gap, it's an abyss.
The only logical way is to watch the good school cricketers and give them opportunity at u19, and the best ones from here you introduce into franchise immediately. There's no other way, yet ZC continuously fail to do this. Most of the time the u19's are not good enough for our franchise standard anyway. There should be one scout identifying talented schoolboys and sending them to the few schools that play decent cricket thereby concentrating our talent at an earlier age where a decent coach can do something with them, not trying to find them scattered throughout the bush when they are twenty something.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you made an u19 league to help them make the comparatively small step up to franchise you would not find enough players to make up a single side. The only reason you get enough players together for u19 trials is because there's the lure of a WC, but the fact is that there's very few genuinely interested and talented players amongst them to put in the hard yards. Most of the white kids and an increasing number of black ones leave to go to Uni and the ones that remain have to work for a living as cricket is a guaranteed life of poverty.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I watched a few club games where Alec Taylor and Callum Price ripped through the club batting line ups but they knew they would never get a crack at First Class. In fairness Price did play for Mountaineers briefly (not sure what happened). Same story with Diplock, he should have been given a few games, but they would rather rehash the same old crew over and over.
Murray should be given a few games as well, he's the best keeper in the country and can bat. I see they have Mavuta and a couple of the black guys in their squads though.
Join the dots.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Googly wrote:I watched a few club games where Alec Taylor and Callum Price ripped through the club batting line ups but they knew they would never get a crack at First Class. In fairness Price did play for Mountaineers briefly (not sure what happened). Same story with Diplock, he should have been given a few games, but they would rather rehash the same old crew over and over.
Murray should be given a few games as well, he's the best keeper in the country and can bat. I see they have Mavuta and a couple of the black guys in their squads though.
Join the dots.
Brandon Diplock, Callum Price, Ryan Murray are big losses for Zimbabwe.