WI Touring Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: WI Touring Squad Announced

Post by hhm »

I've been calling for him for a long time - the so called poor medium pace trundler, who lost his pace and usefulness. I'm gathering together some people recent 'lovely posts about him! :lol:

We forget that rainsford's durability was suspect. Wi will keep us in the field for over 2 days. Not the right conditions for Rainsford, and that's what they considered. However, Panyangara has equally good SR, Economy and Avg?

zimfan, you sure about leaving out Mpofu, and having Meth, Jarvis & Chatara as seamers, in a side with Cremer as the sole spinner? In the Logan cup Jarvis and Chatara are doing 3-3.5 rpo, while Meth is 2.85. Are you serious? :?

Your Test XI has 6 white and 5 black players. Won't happen!
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

hhm wrote:I've been calling for him for a long time - the so called poor medium pace trundler, who lost his pace and usefulness. I'm gathering together some people recent 'lovely posts about him! :lol:

We forget that rainsford's durability was suspect. Wi will keep us in the field for over 2 days. Not the right conditions for Rainsford, and that's what they considered. However, Panyangara has equally good SR, Economy and Avg?

zimfan, you sure about leaving out Mpofu, and having Meth, Jarvis & Chatara as seamers, in a side with Cremer as the sole spinner? In the Logan cup Jarvis and Chatara are doing 3-3.5 rpo, while Meth is 2.85. Are you serious? :?

Your Test XI has 6 white and 5 black players. Won't happen!
Not a fan of Mpofu at all, from looking at the ballance of the squad it seems that Meth has been picked as the bowling all rounder so i think he has to play.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

price should have been in the ODI squad...and MAYBE left out of the test side.

cremer i think should have been in the ODI based on t20 results.

i still think coventry should have been there for the ODIs... he batted well there last time. perhaps his lack of BPL success has hurt him?

utseya doesnt deserve to be there anywhere. mangongo factor?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Ming
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Ming »

Judging from today's Logan cup action, Price is being selected as a batsman who can bowl! :D
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

cremer has more talent in his little finger than utseya. Why do we persist with mediocraty

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Ridiculous selections, Chibhabha is a joke, he can barely hold a place at domestic level so he's selected at national level, pathetic

Rainsford overlooked again, pathetic, what's the problem then, would he misbalance the black v white selection ratio ?

If these team selections really have been made on white/black trade offs then it's a disgrace and the team deserve to lose as heavily as possible, you select the best players or you just pack it in and go home, black v white is truly pathetic

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

jimbo wrote:cremer has more talent in his little finger than utseya. Why do we persist with mediocraty
If it's the kind of talent that goes for 5rpo and gets a maximum of 2 wickets per innings then Zim can do without it!

The fact of the matter is, there are a couple of young spinners coming up(e.g Mugava & Mushangwe). They've been doing well over the past couple of seasons and they keep on improving. Mugava has outperformed Cremer several times across formats.

We all like Cremer, but he's NEVER lived up to the hype, and over the last few years he's stagnated or even regressed! Injuries have contributed, but he's an attacking spinner who fetches a bit and if one of the leggies Mushangwe & Mutombodzi strike a bit, I don't see him hanging on to his Test spot.

Cremers' up against it and I doubt he'll do well enough in the first test to play in the second. WI will likely bat once so he needs to make those 20-30 overs count much better than he did in Napier.

Chibhabha has done well give him a break. If you must criticise anyone in the LOIs squad then it must be Waller.Check all his limited overs innings domestic&international over the last year to date. He's been shockingly poor. In all competitions I doubt more than 15% of Waller's innings are double figures. I'll work it out tomorrow.
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

To be honest when i first saw the squad i was thinking WTF!!!!

However i have spent the last hour looking at this season domestic stats and have come to the conclusion that the players selected are simply the best players from the current domestic season (apart from Rainsford).

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

hhm wrote:Chibhabha has done well give him a break. If you must criticise anyone in the LOIs squad then it must be Waller.Check all his limited overs innings domestic&international over the last year to date. He's been shockingly poor. In all competitions I doubt more than 15% of Waller's innings are double figures. I'll work it out tomorrow.
Chibahba has failed consistently! He started his international career in 2005, and in 60 ODO knocks, he's managed just nice half centuries, with a highest of 73 and an average of 20 which is shit, to put it bluntly.

Never reached his full potential, and there are now better batters in the domestic set up, and in form batters who deserve that spot. I don't care what stats you come up with, defending a chamu chibahba like player is pathetic as he's simply not good enough!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

There are a few who shouldn't be there. But decent XIs can be picked out of the 15 tourists. Not sure if they have completely cocked it up, that will come when the team sheets are announced.