Old Mutual back sponsoring Cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Old Mutual back sponsoring Cricket

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

You reckon there's only 200 farmers left total? Or does that number exclude those who have come to 'arrangements' with those who have taken over the farm?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Can't be sure, but reckon 200 in total. I hardly know anyone farming now. Plus I spend quite a lot of time in the outlying areas and pay attention to what is going on, there's practically no commercial farming going on anywhere.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

What about the reports (from international media) that farming production is higher now than it was pre-land reform?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Less than one tenth, same bullshit that ZC dish out and everyone seems to swallow. Tobacco production is not too bad, three quarters of what it used to be, but poor quality. Nothing else going on, the nation can't even feed itself, we get most of our maize now from Zambia where there are around 400 ex Zim farmers. These 400 guys mostly feed Zim.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:Less than one tenth, same bullshit that ZC dish out and everyone seems to swallow. Tobacco production is not too bad, three quarters of what it used to be, but poor quality. Nothing else going on, the nation can't even feed itself, we get most of our maize now from Zambia where there are around 400 ex Zim farmers. These 400 guys mostly feed Zim.
That's one of the saddest parts about about the land reform, many White Farmers (including relatives of mine) are now spread all over Africa and have been welcomed with open arms by country's who recognise how they can pass on there expertise's onto the locals and therefore safeguard the country's future food production.

For example i believe the Nigerien government gave several white farmers thousands of acres for free on the condition that they train up the locals with similar schemes in place in Kenya and Zambia.

Out of interest Googly do you know how Heath Streak and his family have managed to retain his farm?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimfan1 wrote:That's one of the saddest parts about about the land reform, many White Farmers (including relatives of mine) are now spread all over Africa and have been welcomed with open arms by country's who recognise how they can pass on there expertise's onto the locals and therefore safeguard the country's future food production.

For example i believe the Nigerien government gave several white farmers thousands of acres for free on the condition that they train up the locals with similar schemes in place in Kenya and Zambia.
That is comforting. I had always wondered what happened to all those white farmers who were driven out. Chances were, they gave up the expertise they had built up for generations and started looking for other jobs. But if quite a few of them still managed to continue farming and contributed to the produce across Africa, it is heartening.
zimfan1 wrote:Out of interest Googly do you know how Heath Streak and his family have managed to retain his farm?
Was thinking the same, but the latest article by Liam Brickhill said this:
The Streaks have lost most of their land in the last decade or so, with 70% of the ranch the family and their forebears had lived on since 1899 having been seized for resettlement. Despite that, they still call 12,000 acres of the bushveld their own. They keep 600 head of cattle here, and also run a safari company, called Enthokozweni, in an area home to eland, zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, a variety of small game, and the odd leopard.
So, looks like the Streak family is just in good terms with the new settlers and they are both welcome on the land?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Hard to say, I see a few folk coming back, actually. The trend is for school leavers to head overseas for University and/or a gap year or two. Invariably most don't come back, but there is trickle of 30 somethings looking here again. There's no jobs for anyone here anymore (90-95% unemployment), but if u come with a few bucks and a bit of a plan to start your own business...
The issue here is the Chinese. Over 70 000 Chinese have been issued with Zim drivers' licenses, over 180 000 Zim passports issued to Chinese (this was unearthed and many were subsequently revoked apparently). These are really scary figures. Of course hard to substantiate and you only hear this from a "reliable" source.
Cost of living here is ridiculous. Boarding school fees are $5000 a term, private school day fees are $2500-$3000 a term. It will cost a white collar family with two kids around $6000 a month to live with absolutely no frills whatsoever. This implies grossing $10 000 a month minimum. With this u don't save a cent!! This puts Zim amongst the top 5 most expensive places in the World to live. School fees due today, there are going to be a few casualties. Many lending organizations (loan sharks!!) out there now loaning school fee money at some hefty rates.
Domestic worker minimum wage is around $150 a month, the fact is that over 70% of domestic workers are now employed by black families. Haha, how times have changed. I employ two people at $300 ea simply because I can't pay them another cent without crippling myself and try to help here and there where I can. I am way too ashamed to ask them how they survive. They are married with children. Working for me they are f%*ked with no future, without me, probably more so as there are simply no opportunities out there. Many guys flee to SA actually. The big employers of Zimbabweans there are restaurants. I would hazard an educated guess that of the 1000's of restaurants in SA, most employ Zimbabweans.
Oh, here's a good one- my friends from overseas (used to live here) have just come back from the Falls. An extra large pizza was $50!!!

Googly

Post by Googly »

I have no idea why this post appeared here or what question I was responding to, haven't even had a sip of wine. Hope it's interesting..

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

Always good to get your input googly ... could you clear up a couple of things though; is there practically no commercial farming going on or is tobacco production at around 70% of what it was (or does this not actually represent a paradox and in fact smoking has increased 10000-fold amoung the populace)?
Googly wrote: The issue here is the Chinese. Over 70 000 Chinese have been issued with Zim drivers' licenses, over 180 000 Zim passports issued to Chinese (this was unearthed and many were subsequently revoked apparently). These are really scary figures
Obviously, the initial question (not sentence - it actually is good to get your input especially as it is another source for me on similar ground to you) was sarcastic, but this is genuine ... what exactly is the "scary"/ "issue" here? I understand some of the fears (some turn out to even be legitimate) but can you finish what you started here with an explanation.
Cheers.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Tobacco farming is the cash crop of choice amongst the small scale farmers. They have struggled to regulate it and the whole thing is fairly chaotic but it does work. Sales and the queues and the chaos at the floors (lots of them now as well) and outside are a sight to behold. It provides a living for thousands of people. Some of the crop is pretty good, actually. The problem with small scale tobacco farming is that the guys plunder the trees for curing, which is why Malawi hardly has a tree left. Without security of land tenure it is difficult to borrow money for a decent sized crop and the system is self perpetuating. There are commercial farmers amongst this, the majority being black farmers. I'm not sure the exact figures but we are about 70% of what the crop used to be.
The Chinese are a scourge. Universally unpopular throughout Africa. There is no doubt in my mind that they are recolonizing Africa. Their cheap imports make it impossible for local manufacturers to get going, many of their initial imports appear to be duty free as well. They do not appear to have to operate to the same set of rules as we do. They own a huge percentage of the mining claims. They are allowed alluvial operations when we are not. They have no intentions of doing anything other than exporting raw materials. They are the ones causing the problem at Mana Pools. EMA Environmental Management Association)does not appear to be allowed to police any of their operations. Their lack of empathy towards wildlife makes the average hungry local appear to be like Diane Fossey. The white man who has been chased out, created jobs, looked after wildlife, reinvested most of their profits locally, understood local culture and customs, integrated to some degree, had pride and patriotism. These guys are here to rape and pillage. When we next look up they are going to be voting, and in numbers. If you see the vast complexes they have built you will realize that there is a master plan at work. It's an unmitigated disaster.