T20 World Cup 2022 | 16th Oct - 13th Nov

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Re: T20 World Cup 2022 | 16th Oct - 13th Nov

Post by slcricfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:36 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:22 am
When in the zone, there is no stopping Kohli. I mean 28 requried off 8, any team could have bowled a part timer vs ABD, Smith, Root, Warner and still won the game. But only Kohli and maybe a couple of other Indian batters could have chased that down.

Somehow, someway, Indian batters induce fear into the opposition bowlers and they start bowling hittable balls.
He is definitely talented, but I don't buy into this narrative that only Kohli could have done that. I reckon ABD, and Smith could definitely have done what he did. There are few batsmen who can hit them the way he was and they are in that league. It's a bit of a disservice to those players that there's this narrative that it can only be him.
Yeah lol, very hyped.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:36 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:22 am
When in the zone, there is no stopping Kohli. I mean 28 requried off 8, any team could have bowled a part timer vs ABD, Smith, Root, Warner and still won the game. But only Kohli and maybe a couple of other Indian batters could have chased that down.

Somehow, someway, Indian batters induce fear into the opposition bowlers and they start bowling hittable balls.
He is definitely talented, but I don't buy into this narrative that only Kohli could have done that. I reckon ABD, and Smith could definitely have done what he did. There are few batsmen who can hit them the way he was and they are in that league. It's a bit of a disservice to those players that there's this narrative that it can only be him.
You have to factor in context. India v Pakistan always has maximal intensity. India were down and out in the chase (this doesn't count as much since the T20 format often lends itself to "incredible" comebacks from 5 wickets down positions on a fairly routine basis).

I think there are guys who are about as good, perhaps even slightly better than Kohli in ODIs, certainly in Tests but I think in T20s hes the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

What are the dutch doing lol

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:49 am

You have to factor in context. India v Pakistan always has maximal intensity. India were down and out in the chase (this doesn't count as much since the T20 format often lends itself to "incredible" comebacks from 5 wickets down positions on a fairly routine basis).

I think there are guys who are about as good, perhaps even slightly better than Kohli in ODIs, certainly in Tests but I think in T20s hes the best.
Context can be argued for many. Again, don't get me wrong, he has skill and talent, but it's almost like what happens in football. Messi or Ronaldo does something, and it's amplified much higher compared to if anyone else has done it.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:05 am

Context can be argued for many. Again, don't get me wrong, he has skill and talent, but it's almost like what happens in football. Messi or Ronaldo does something, and it's amplified much higher compared to if anyone else has done it.
The thing is, I'm not sure how many teams have been able to chase at 12-13 runs per over with 4-5 overs or more to go. I feel like India is the only team that has done that on multiple occaisions. With India, especially with Kohli at the crease, if you're defending 70 off the final 30 balls, you cannot assume you will win. There's no other team or batsmen who can inspire that kind of confidence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:18 pm

The thing is, I'm not sure how many teams have been able to chase at 12-13 runs per over with 4-5 overs or more to go. I feel like India is the only team that has done that on multiple occaisions. With India, especially with Kohli at the crease, if you're defending 70 off the final 30 balls, you cannot assume you will win. There's no other team or batsmen who can inspire that kind of confidence.
We are going to disagree on this. He's talented, but he is not some kind of immortal. Many players have inspired their teams to win from such situations.

On a side note. Was watching WBBL yesterday, Brisbane vs Sydney Thunder. It got to Brisbane needing 20 off 14 and the game was called off for rain. It barely rained in Brisbane. I live 20 minutes from Allan Border field where the game was and it did not rain at all near me. The rain (light drizzle) was a 5-10 minute passing drizzle, and yet the game got called off really quickly. It was called at 8:45pm local time. They could easily have waited and come back out to play. This just highlights how farcical our game with SA was. That was a constant shower and they were still pushing through, even at 11pm, well past the normal cut off of 10:05pm. Absolute joke that both teams were put through that. Can understand SA fans frustrations but if drawing or losing one game means you miss the semi, that's an issue of the format and is another indictment of the ICC.
Last edited by zimbos_05 on Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:12 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:18 pm

We are going to disagree on this. He's talented, but he is not some kind of immortal. Many players have inspired their teams to win from such situations.

On a side note. Was watching WBBL yesterday, Brisbane vs Sydney Thunder. It got to Brisbane needing 20 off 14 and the game was called off for rain. It barely rained in Brisbane. The rain (light drizzle) was a 5-10 minute passing drizzle, and yet the game got called off really quickly. It was called at 8:45pm local time. They could easily have waited and come back out to play. This just highlights how farcical our game with SA was. That was a constant shower and they were still pushing through, even at 11pm, well past the normal cut off of 10:05pm. Absolute joke that both teams were put through that. Can understand SA fans frustrations but if drawing or losing one game means you miss the semi, that's an issue of the format and is another indictment of the ICC.
I also highly doubt the umpires would have pushed that hard for a result had it rained when we were playing Scotland. They would have happily sent us home. I don't feel sorry for the proteas.. not even 1 bit... its not our fault it rained. I'm also sure it won't be the last game affected by rain

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Congrats to the irish

Googly

Post by Googly »

That was a massive win for the Irish

England under big pressure now.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks