Old Mutual back sponsoring Cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Old Mutual back sponsoring Cricket

Post by betterdays »

Googly wrote:The Chinese are a scourge....There is no doubt in my mind that they are recolonizing Africa.
As I said, some complaints about the Chinese are legit ... I have never liked the fact that they do not seem to re-invest nor (and I think you missed this) do they seem to employ locals (maybe that's a form of re-investment in your eyes and ok fair enough) and their lack of empathy towards wildlife is fairly well-known but you are doing two things in that paragraph that doesn't sit well:
1) comparing a colonising force in it's toddlerhood with one in it's dotage (white colonisers, remember, started with slaves ... and everything else aside [a wicket fell and the game will now start in earnest] even approaching retirement age did not seek the right to vote - they had that exclusively for themselves already - but the wrong of not allowing the locals to). Also, one was invited...
2) that things like lack of EMA supervision, duties, alluvial operations...are the fault of the Chinese (this, to me, is the same as saying ZC is a mess because of the black players!?)

Googly

Post by Googly »

So are u ok with the Chinese being here?
The players are not the issue, it's the administrators. My only issue with black players is their acceptance of the current administration. They seem to swallow any and all things that are told to them and although they want things to work better they seemed resigned to the current situation. This I really cannot fathom. Maybe you have a take on this?
I read an article in the Herald yesterday about how cricket had come a full circle and now there were 10 black players and one white one. This pleased the writer no end and clearly has a large sympathetic readership. The article suggested that development cricket had been successful. It filled me with dismay. I wonder if he is aware of how many (few) white players there are in the franchise system, do you know? I think I can count them on one hand!!! If this is a cause for celebration then we are in trouble. In fact it is the case, the people do like it and we are in massive trouble.
Development cricket is all about keeping your existing base and infrastructures and expanding it, not dismantling and destroying everything.

I think this year is the turning point. Senior cricket will probably become a universally black sport. I'm not seeing too many white guys accepting the conditions, I hope I'm wrong. ZC are involved in trying to restart First League cricket and I really don't see it working either. I'm not sure how many teams they are planning on but it will be way too many and I'm not seeing any white players joining this league. The one white league side was CC but I'm doubting they are fielding a side. What plan is there for the good 16-18 year old school players (6-8 games scheduled for third term!!!!!) and the 19-20 year old school leavers thinking of a cricket career here?
It is a given that this First League will not succeed. I don't see a full season of franchise cricket here either. How does a cricketer get to franchise level if he can't play club cricket? I have the answer- franchise will become so weak that the jump will be easy. The decent schoolboy cricketers are a small step away from it right now. Is this development??
Is it development to break the backs of the white guys' aspirations to play here and then stand on a box and proclaim to the world that Zimbabwe cricket has turned a full circle?
With 5 franchise teams (85 players give or take) and 12 (?)First league sides (just guessing- 144 players), I think every decent senior cricketer in the country will have to turn out every weekend. This is so unrealistic that it is scary. There's not enough decent players, never mind the overall numbers to make up second teams. Oh and if you assume that my guesstimate of the first league numbers is right that would mean that ZC will be paying out $10 ea per player per week, plus coaches and umpires, plus hiring grounds. My estimate of this is $1440 (players), $600 (grounds), $500 (umpires and scorers) a week. You read this correctly. Club players won't play unless they get paid $10 appearance money. From schoolboy amateurs they become $40 a week professionals. Am I the only one that thinks this is laughable? This lack of appearance money is why it ground to a halt last time!
That's around $10k a month. Unless they find Corporate sponsorship I don't see this rolling out. Maybe I'm underestimating them as this is not a lot of money in the scheme of things. This First League step is so vital that they need to do everything in their power to make this happen.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The last part of my previous comment really bothered me. The fact is guys won't play club cricket unless they get paid. They want a top ground magically laid on for them, umpires, scorers, food, transport etc.

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

Googly wrote:So are u ok with the Chinese being here?
you answer this question as well as I could \/
Googly wrote:The players are not the issue, it's the administrators.
my point exactly ... and, broadly speaking, I apply this to "the Chinese". If I reduced "the Chinese" presence in Africa to a single character I'd describe it as mercenary (a word used to describe KP, Ervine...) but they did not come up with a look East policy in Zimbabwe - they took advantage of it.

As far as players accepting the administration; well what are you expecting of them? I am sure they don't swallow everything and accept that each pay-check will be like pulling teeth but how solid are their alternatives. This is a question of individual motives so I would be no more than guessing - but there are one or two white guys who put up with it too. I have recently been spending time with people close to Zim cricket and they tend to agree with your assessment ... let's hope not.