[U19 World Cup] Zimbabwe vs Windies

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [U19 World Cup] Zimbabwe vs Windies

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Googly wrote:Group hug
Group hug. Calm down guys!
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

celsito

Post by celsito »

Yesterday I was watching that match Zimbabwe played very good and aggressively but it was bad luck it's very heartbreaking for those boys what if they're not going through to quarter finals they win lot of heart of they are fans ansome of them are very good players talented if you give them chance in domestic season cricket they can be future stars. :W: they will play well against Canada :W:

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:Seems to be making a lot of noise in Australia as well surprisingly.
From what i can see though, 90% of it is supporting the West Indies.
I saw a comment mentioned that if it happened at the other end (stumping) then would we be up in arms? If a batsman crept forward that way?
I believe that one day this tactic will be employed more frequently, especially in T20, and we will get used to it as just another dimension of the sport.
S-L-O-W C-L-A-P!
It needs to happen more often until it becomes the norm or they scrap it out of the law books.

People like happy endings! This was not such. There are SO MANY instances in cricket which if we appeal to 'spirit of the game' we would not have a professional sport buy a sissies day out panzie fest! Cricket is frustratingly inconsistent. Apparently umpires are not supposed to ask the captain if the y want to uphold the decision and they did yesterday but nobody is talking about that. I am also not chuffed with the way umpires are not accountable for some bad decisions that they make on the field.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Apart from the young tearaway Joseph who will be a great servant for WI for years to come if managed properly the WI bowling was very ordinary. Zimbabwe should have won this mankad or not- I agree with mangongo bad things always happen when we leave it late ( Sean Williams disputed 6 against Ireland)

reverbinstinct
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by reverbinstinct »

Wow! James 'banter' Neesham never ceases to crack me up.Check out his tweets n replies to all those peeps who were debating on,in the defence of the bowler and claiming 'what if' cases..

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Kriterion_BD wrote:I have always found it odd that batsmen advance before the ball has been bowled to begin with. But since everyone does it, its fair. I just thought it was odd.
Having calmed down somewhat, I agree with that comment. I also thought it odd when I first came across this mankading business. And this where the tragedy of yesterday's event lies (if you give the third umpire the benefit of the doubt that he can see things where the replays do not offer conclusive evidence :twisted: ): if this mode of dismissal was the norm everywhere, nobody could complain.

In fact, we can't complain, because it's in the laws, but in a lot of cricketing cultures it isn't normally done, at least not without prior warning. There is a discrepancy between laws and culture here, and our boys are the latest victims of that discrepancy. I bet Ngarava had never seen a bowler run in with the only purpose of knocking off the bails, and I bet the Windies players didn't do it for the first time. It's not a question of morals but of the way the game is played: a large part of the cricketing community ignores this part of the laws ... the question is why? Maybe it's got to do with people taking the moral high ground, maybe it's the age old prejudice towards batsmen (working class bowlers mankading gentleman bats?), maybe it's common sense. As I have pointed out in different terms elsewhere: If everybody treated it as a normal, entirely risk-free mode of dismissal (you either get a wicket or it's a dead ball) cricket would turn into baseball, over-rates would plummet, at least for a while ... eventually batsmen would probably adapt, as has been pointed out.

I would like to see the laws change and a penalty introduced for non-strikers leaving their ground before the ball is bowled. The reason is simply that mankading is, to me, not a skill and not a part of the game of bowling, batting and fielding. People say it's the same as a stumping. Well a stumping is the result of a ball being bowled, it needs skill both from the bowler and the keeper, and more importantly it is the result of the nucleus of cricket: One person bowls a ball, another person tries to hit it. Mankading on the other hand, in the form exhibited yesterday, is the art of jogging towards and hitting the wicket with a ball in hand, preferably after you have faked and aborted your previous run-up ...

The question is how to proceed from here? The laws are not going to change, and the general spirit in which cricket is being played in a lot of cricketing cultures is also not likely to change. Will the professional game lead the way, will we see makading attempts in every other ODI or T20? ... We'll have to wait, but I have my doubts. Most players will probably continue to play the game the way they play it now. And so I'm sure that this will not be the last controversy. The only fair way to deal with things as they are is probably for the captain to tell the opposition before the match starts that he will ask his bowlers to try and run the non-strikers out whenever there is the slightest hint of them leaving their ground early, and that he expects them to do the same. But it's still not the kind of cricket I want to watch.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Conant wrote:On my part, friendly banter. On their part, I really don't know. I guess with ZCF Outcast gone, people have to find a new target.

I'm really sorry you didn't spot the smileys Doggy and Googly and I'm really sorry too my joke about Rhodies is deemed to be in poor taste. Clearly, I'm no Trevoh Noah. ;)

Since two days ago howeve, when I got attacked for no reason, I have ceased to care. Zimdowg and Googly, you don't have to read my offensive posts. You are free to mute, or alternatively have a quiet word with Maehera, who I doubt he will entertain your nonsense.

I have been a member of this group for 8 years, since 2008 and in that time I had very little issues whatsoever with people until HHM/ ZCFOUTCAST/Rabada pointed out a few issues and I backed him on some.

It didn't matter that I was the very first to point out some of his absurdities, contrary to many members who initially jumped on his bandwagon until he started saying things you didn't like.

I disagreed with plenty of people on this forum but it never incendiary like the lynching you seem to be propagating on me now.

Eugene, who I always had a few exchanges and challenges with, always kept it civil right till the end.

And you, who regularly, negligently and liberally uses words like nigger on the forum, do not see the irony of your statement? Zimdowg, really? And you want to mention race to me?

My favourite player in the team Sean Williams. Before that Hamilton Masakadza. I saw the talent beyond the ruggedness of Malcolm Waller Way before many here did. He only got scath from me when he went two years without a score and once he performed I was converted once more. I regularly attacked Vusi Sibanda and since Bangladesh I have been complimentary or at least silent. I'm critical of Craig Ervine and I am yet to be converted. Race had nothing to do with it. You never saw my post about Adam Keefe yesterday, did you? Or Madhevere? Good players both, what has race got anything to do with it? No, I do not see race . I see fairness and injustice.

I will not cease speaking my mind, and I will not take abuse from either of you. Clearly you are not used to being challenged, its a trait strangely peculiar to some.
Hope you stick around Conant. Appreciate your presence here on the forum, even if we sometimes don't see eye-to-eye.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Some good points foreingfield.

I have just been reminded that in the 2012 under 19 world cup, Soumya Sarkar, mankaded as Aussie player in the quarterfinals. Bangladesh wemt on to lose and finish 7th. So mankading happens. I do remember the Aussie captain was pissed off and there may have been a slight delay in the game as umpires had to prevent things from possibly getting ugly. Im speculating a bit as the game was not televised. So its quite clear most teams would Mankad in a pressure situation and have little qualms about it.

Shakib mankaded Umar Amin at the 2010 Asia Cup in a senior level ODI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

i didnt see that Aussie under 19 game Kriterion is referring too, but i assume that there was some sort of warning in place or at least the guy was creeping far down the pitch.

The West Indian never had any intention of bowling that delivery.

Thats the key point for me.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:The West Indian never had any intention of bowling that delivery.

Thats the key point for me.
+1. That's definitely the key observation.

And +1 to all that is written by foreignfield. And specifically about this not being a "skill". It is more of opportunism.