[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Pakistan (Only Test)

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

What a shambles.

111/3
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

takleg

Post by takleg »

Another wicket for Ajmal. I hope 'The Muppet' does well. To be realistic, 270 will be an excellent score.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Bad state to be in after another solid start. With our three best men back in the hut, anything around 250 from here on is a respectable score. But hoping for a miraculous rescue act from Taibu and Co.

Looking at the spin, we might have missed a trick by not having Utseya in the side...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It's like Mendis vs Zimbabwe all over again, they can't read Ajmal at all. In fairness though, he is bowling well and getting a lot of turn. I'm still hopeful that 350 is possible, all we need is one good partnership. A 90 run partnership between Mawoyo and Taibu would put Zimbabwe at 3/200 which would be a good foundation.

I have to say, the more I see Mawoyo the more impressed I am. He doesn't seem to have the best technique, which was my main memory of him from the ODIs he played in 2006, but he's got the right intent. He's not getting out... it took 76 and 95 balls to dismiss him in the Bangladesh game and he's been out there for 131 balls so far today. As an opener he's doing exactly what was asked of him. I really hope he can stand up and be counted today; if he scores a hundred Zimbabwe will make a good total.

I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that the commentators are spruiking right now. Second session of day one of a Test match, the run rate is completely irrelevant. What is important is keeping wickets in hand and building a partnership. I'd happily accept 200 by stumps if it meant no more wickets fell today. Whereas Kepler is saying Zimbabwe should try and go at 4 an over without taking risks? :roll:

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:What a shambles.

111/3
Bit harsh after being put into bat facing the best spinner in the world

Shasha

Post by Shasha »

3 wicket gone for just 20 runs...Mawoyo is very slow and i'm loving it...270 is reachable.Go Zim!!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Shasha wrote:3 wicket gone for just 20 runs...Mawoyo is very slow and i'm loving it...270 is reachable.Go Zim!!
Yeah. It's bizarre how obsessed the commentators are with the run rate...

Also, it's a bit unfair how much disrespect Pakistan are showing to a guy who averages over 60 in Test cricket. 5 around the bat?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Shasha wrote:3 wicket gone for just 20 runs...Mawoyo is very slow and i'm loving it...270 is reachable.Go Zim!!
Yeah. It's bizarre how obsessed the commentators are with the run rate...

Also, it's a bit unfair how much disrespect Pakistan are showing to a guy who averages over 60 in Test cricket. 5 around the bat?
would think its more to do with he is playing the ball late and not looking to attack that would determin that field. Top knock by Mawyo congrats on his 1st Test Match 50, needs to go on a get a big one day.

I hope im not putting a jinx on this but Taibu is looking in great form, he is the only one who has picked Ajmals dosera so far, he was always a great player of spin

takleg

Post by takleg »

Nice 50 by Mawoyo!
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis