WI Touring Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: WI Touring Squad Announced

Post by hhm »

jimbo wrote:what the problem with Waller? he averages 40 first class. matsi barely averages 30
Unlike a lot of the guys like Matsi who played the bulk of their matches when they were still in their teens, against qualified bowlers, Waller played his first FC match in 2008, against a bunch of club cricketers, and he was rubbish for the most part. It showed in his ODI form! He's already 28! Check back when he's played at least a hundred FC matches! There is absolutely no way Waller can survive on 1 or 2 big scores per season in between single digit scores, and still maintain that average! The 208* paints a wrong picture of his form this season!
Ming wrote:I know you don't like Jarvis. I'm not particularly overinspired by him, but you're throwing into your argument the fact that in 60 matches Chamu has a whole two wickets more than Kyle in 16 matches. Overkill in your reasoning, no?
Two questions for you?
1. How many overs less than Chamu has Jarvis bowled?
2. How many of Chamu's overs have been with the new ball?
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

gutted for rainsford, Whats the guy gotta do?? :o

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jimbo wrote:gutted for rainsford, Whats the guy gotta do?? :o
I'd love to see explanations provided for some of these selections. There may well be legitimate reasons for the inclusions and exclusions of certain players; but how do we know until we're told otherwise?

hhm

Post by hhm »

jimbo wrote:gutted for rainsford, Whats the guy gotta do?? :o
Lock Jarvis in the toilet when selections are being made! :lol:

- The only way Meth got in was when Mpofu was dropped
- When Mpofu regained his spot, the only way Shingi could get in was when Vitori was dropped
- The only way Chatara(who was banging down the door since the same time as Meth) got in was when Vitori was dropped

Clearly then, the only way Rainsford can get in, is when Chatara is dropped. Simple as that. For all his pathetic performances Jarvis isn't going anywhere! He will go wicketless a 4rpo in the first innings of the first Test, pick up one/two wickets in the 2nd when WI are stretching their lead quickly or chasing a small target to win, and still the only way for Chatara to play is if Mpofu who picked up 3 wickets in each innings is dropped!

Elton will be back to take his place for the allrounder-pretender Meth, so that's temporary.

Shingi must have pissed of someone!
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:2. Chatara ahead of Rainsford?
I don't think they fall into the same category, so, for me, it's not a choice of Chatara over Rainsford. It's rather that the selectors kept faith with Mpofu for the steady seamer role and somehow deemed they needed three spinners in the test squad. Chatara seems to have replaced Vitori as the pacer with a little something extra (be it left arm swing or extra pace), and rightfully so. The kid has taken over 100 FC wickets at 20, is the quickest guy we have, has a good fitness record ...

That said, as much as I rate Jarvis as a FC and test bowler, he's not an automatic pick for my limited overs sides.

In his limited opportunities Meth has not looked like an international bowler to me. And as a batsmen he is useful but does not offer the hitting prowess of Chigumbura (whom he seems to have replaced), I doubt he's more of an allrounder than Cremer or Utseya.

Ming

Post by Ming »

hhm wrote:Two questions for you?
1. How many overs less than Chamu has Jarvis bowled?
2. How many of Chamu's overs have been with the new ball?
Fair enough - I don't know what it adds to the argument, though. They have different roles in the team and bowl at different times. If you want to embarrass Jarvis, compare him to other frontline bowlers:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

I remember when the batting line up caused as much debate as the bowling line up here. But slowly, the bats sorted themselves out: Vusi's detractors were silenced, Mawoyo won people (including me) around, dropping Hami caused a furore thus unwittingly consensus and everyone eventually agreed Taylor is better off at 3 or 4 instead of opening. There's so much debate here because we haven't played in a year, but a sort of consensus is forming. Rainsford if fit, Querl if available, Mpofu and Jarvis (hhm aside). Chigs was dropped for form reasons but we're not yet all on the Meth bus. For me, however, Shingi is the unluckiest. The guy has been knocking at the door for 4 years, he takes wickets, he is gutsy and I really really like his Mountaineers partnerships with Tiripano and Chatara. But I guess only one of that lot could get in and Chatara it was. It doesn't really matter, the lineup has not settled yet and they'll be more playing opportunities this year and it's better to get a look at one of them than none at all. So for me, the squad is ok; Rainsford and Shingi will get their chances soon and Querl will get his priorities sorted one day.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Boundary wrote:I remember when the batting line up caused as much debate as the bowling line up here. But slowly, the bats sorted themselves out: Vusi's detractors were silenced, Mawoyo won people (including me) around, dropping Hami caused a furore thus unwittingly consensus and everyone eventually agreed Taylor is better off at 3 or 4 instead of opening. There's so much debate here because we haven't played in a year, but a sort of consensus is forming. Rainsford if fit, Querl if available, Mpofu and Jarvis (hhm aside). Chigs was dropped for form reasons but we're not yet all on the Meth bus. For me, however, Shingi is the unluckiest. The guy has been knocking at the door for 4 years, he takes wickets, he is gutsy and I really really like his Mountaineers partnerships with Tiripano and Chatara. But I guess only one of that lot could get in and Chatara it was. It doesn't really matter, the lineup has not settled yet and they'll be more playing opportunities this year and it's better to get a look at one of them than none at all. So for me, the squad is ok; Rainsford and Shingi will get their chances soon and Querl will get his priorities sorted one day.
Good post. And I hope as the year progresses the batting line-up solidifies even more... this time next year it would be nice to look back and say Chakabva has cemented his position as a Test number seven. It's up to Waller and someone else, probably Williams is the front runner right now, to make up the rest of the middle order and stay there.

Agreed on Mawoyo too - he really has been one of the big revelations of the past few years. His century against Pakistan should have won him a lot of supporters. He showed old school grit and determination that I bet Bangladeshi fans would give anything to see in their own players.

hhm

Post by hhm »

foreignfield wrote:It's rather that the selectors kept faith with Mpofu for the steady seamer role...That said, as much as I rate Jarvis as a FC and test bowler, he's not an automatic pick for my limited overs sides.
It's not so much the fact that they kept faith with Mpofu, but rather the fact that he earned his right to stay there! Would they have been justified in excluding him in the Test side, as opposed to Rainsford for Jarvis? Mpofu has been our best Test bowler!

You're right in saying that Chatara deserves to be there ahead of Vitori.

I take it you mean Jarvis should not have been in the LOIs squad, and Rainsford should have gone instead of him?

Ming so he takes after his father? :lol:

I know Meth was proved to be useless and expensive at international level, but Shingi's strike-rate compensates for his economy by far!

Mbangwa's SR was horrific, and his economy rate doesn't compensate for it, however, GB is twice the ODI bowler Jarvis will ever be!

The common denominator in all of this is that Jarvis remains at the wrong end of the table! :lol:

The only question your stats raise, or point that it proves is - Why are both Jarvis and Meth in our ODI squad? :?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Ah! It all makes sense now. Hitler committed suicide and the Mayan calendar ended in 2012 because Jarvis is the worst bowler ever!