WI Touring Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: WI Touring Squad Announced

Post by Boundary »

lol, hhm campaign against Jarvis is a lesson in perseverance, persistence and complete irrelevance.

Ming
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Ming »

Boundary wrote:lol, hhm campaign against Jarvis is a lesson in perseverance, persistence and complete irrelevance.
hhm sure is a long-distance runner! Questioning Jarvis is not irrelevant though - it's not as if he's the greatest thing since the invention of grated cheese. He's not head and shoulders above the rest. At the very least, it can be said that there are several other contenders for his spot, and I wouldn't have been shocked to see someone else in his place. Where I differ with hhm is that he's not yet ready to be consigned to the same group of players as Piet Rinke! He may yet come good (maybe...).
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Ming wrote:
Boundary wrote:lol, hhm campaign against Jarvis is a lesson in perseverance, persistence and complete irrelevance.
hhm sure is a long-distance runner! Questioning Jarvis is not irrelevant though - it's not as if he's the greatest thing since the invention of grated cheese. He's not head and shoulders above the rest. At the very least, it can be said that there are several other contenders for his spot, and I wouldn't have been shocked to see someone else in his place. Where I differ with hhm is that he's not yet ready to be consigned to the same group of players as Piet Rinke! He may yet come good (maybe...).
That's a fair assessment.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Ming wrote:
That's a fair assessment.
Yep.

Whenever someone harshly and venomously attacks anything or anyone (be it a person or a point of view), I feel the urge to defend that person or view to extent, if even I'm critical of it myself. And I guess I'm not the only one here.

So I guess hhm's vitriol is turning a lot of us off the valid points he makes.

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

My Test XI:
Vusi
Mawoyo
Hami
Taylor(c)
Waller
Williams
Chakabva(wk)
Meth
Jarvis
Price
Mpofu

Can't really see us being that much of a challenge. The team would've looked better with Rainsford in it.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

That is a pretty good XI Takleg

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

hhm wrote:
foreignfield wrote:It's rather that the selectors kept faith with Mpofu for the steady seamer role...That said, as much as I rate Jarvis as a FC and test bowler, he's not an automatic pick for my limited overs sides.
It's not so much the fact that they kept faith with Mpofu, but rather the fact that he earned his right to stay there! Would they have been justified in excluding him in the Test side, as opposed to Rainsford for Jarvis? Mpofu has been our best Test bowler!

You're right in saying that Chatara deserves to be there ahead of Vitori.

I take it you mean Jarvis should not have been in the LOIs squad, and Rainsford should have gone instead of him?
What I meant was that they were loath to drop Mpofu for Rainsford, a decision I agree with. Other, less clear-cut decisions regarding the composition of the tour squads made it difficult to accomodate Rainsford however.

For me: Rainsford for Utseya in the test squad, Chigs for Chamu and Rainsford for Meth in ODIs/T20I. Jarvis is still in my squad but not an automatic pick for each in every ODI/T20I.

Just to clarify ... but unfortunately that's all sour grapes now ...

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

foreignfield wrote:Rainsford for Utseya in the test squad, Chigs for Chamu and Rainsford for Meth in ODIs/T20I
- Why not Rainsford for Price;
- Chigs for Waller; and
- Shingi for Meth

Honest questions!
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

hhm wrote:
foreignfield wrote:Rainsford for Utseya in the test squad, Chigs for Chamu and Rainsford for Meth in ODIs/T20I
- Why not Rainsford for Price;
- Chigs for Waller; and
- Shingi for Meth

Honest questions!
Price or Utseya -- a close call, but I don't think Pro is a test spinner. Price has the experience and get's a well deserved farewell tour. (tests)

Chamu or Waller -- our batting line-up is already top-heavy, hence I don't think Chamu is needed. I'm not a huge Waller fan and his 99* has probably deluded me but he deserves another chance, plus his bowling could be handy. (ODI/T20I)

Shingi for Meth -- I like Shingi but just could not find room for him, so Rainsford takes Meth's place in the shorter format on the condition that we have Chigs there as allrounder. If you mean Shingi should replace Meth for tests -- that's again a close call ... I'm a soft guy, you know, and was loath to drop Crystal entirely ... but really Meth might offer something in tests that the other pacers lack (swing) ... Shingi is an automatic pick for me when either of Jarvis, Mpofu or Chatara get injured. I know the guy is perenally unlucky and he's never given an extended run in the side, sigh.

aydee

Post by aydee »

foreignfield wrote: but really Meth might offer something in tests that the other pacers lack (swing)
This point is especially relevant for the Windies, as they use the Dukes ball for tests there. I know Meth is not in the class of Praveen Kumar, but he had a very successful test tour there about 2 years ago, swinging the ball both ways at less than 80mph. Having variety in an attack is useful, Meth is the best exponent of swing in the country. Comfortably. If ony he didn't bowl slower than Dwayne Smith...