ZIM A vs AFGHAN A 1st Test in India

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ZIM A vs AFGHAN A 1st Test in India

Post by sloandog »

Ervine against New Zealand springs to mind as well

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:Ervine against New Zealand springs to mind as well

Batted @ 3 didnt he ......

Stuart Carlisle did it against Aus A at the Waca in 2004 .......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

BMCAtreasurer wrote:

Situ is an encyclopedia on Zim Cricket, past present and future.
Thank you for those kind words James. It was a indeed a special moment meeting you all.

CrimsonAvenger, SpitfiresKent The match was being played at Shaheed Vijay Singh Pathik Sports complex aka Greater NOIDA. Its around 45 km from my place. I went there on day 2 of the 4-day match and it was a foggy day as match was rescheduled post lunch. Maruma was the first person whom I saw. Then I had a word with skipper Mutombodzi. Shook hands with Regis, Nyumbu, Garwe, Tiripano. The local staff was worried as I was calling them by their names. Afghans had more local support being the adopted 'home ground' courtsey request of Afghan PM to Indian PM. The highlight of the day was meeting Wayne James, one man who was not give enough chance at International level probably because of legend Andy Flower donning the gloves that time. I reminded him of his famous World Record where he took 13 dismissals (9+4) in a match and combined that with 99 and 99 not out. Bryan Strang's wide left him stranded. He was arguably the best keeper that time and I very vividly remember a small clip in Hindi newspaper in late 1990's that a world record has been made in the most unlikeliest places at Logan Cup. I asked Condon whether you are the physio and that started our conversation and we really gelled very well. I told them about Mamhiyo's 6 sixes feat in an over and he was called. It was a wonderful interaction and I got few photographs clicked.

Since, Tary Musakanda, X'mas boy(Jaylord Gumbie) and Garwe were not in playing XI, I chatted with them. As few of them were my facebook friends like Nyumbu, they recognised me after talking. Wayne James' was the constant presence around the players keeping them on the toes. We chatted again and relived the goldem memories of 1990's, right from the exclusion of Graeme Hick from 1983 World Cup playing XI, Houghton-Butchart's world record partnership against Kiwis in Reliance WC to ChiCken Farmer ripping the timbers at Albury to Gobby's 90 something winning match vs Poms at SCG.

I enjoyed the match but Aghan camp and the Afghan scorer was surprised to see a local supporting Zimbabwe. At the end of the play, unexpected happened. Wayno called the whole team and we had a group photo. He introduced me to the players as Zimababwe's No. 1 fan (so kind of him) and futher added that he is following the team from a time when many of you were not even born. I had a quick talk thereafter where I pointed the players to the Zimbabwe flag pasted outside the dressing room and requested them to wear the pride on there sleeves always as we, fans, around the globe are constantly following them. Thereafter I had the golden opportunity of handshaking with all of them. So, you see, it was a memorable moment for me. Earlier I had been to the ground only once in 2000 when India played against Zim at Kanpur (Madondo match which I mentioned in other thread). I was the first one to leave the stadium as Ganaguly-Tendulkar had gone berserk and I couldnot watch. Many thanks to the two James (BMCAtreasurer) this time and the whole A team

PS: Admins, I am having difficulty uploading the group pic (posted earlier on this thread) as my avtar. Plz do the needful.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Stuff dreams are made of! Feeling bad that the Afghans did not choose Gangotri Glades at Mysore as their home ground :)

Anyway, happy for the opportunity you got and thanks for the write up.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Awesome Dr. So pleased for you.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Jemisi wrote:Awesome Dr. So pleased for you.
True fan. Nice one.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Hang on, I thought I was the number one Zimbabwe fan?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Pleased for you Dr; did you get any stash? I'm virtually begging Diplock for his Under 19's tracksuit :lol: