WI Touring Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: WI Touring Squad Announced

Post by foreignfield »

aydee wrote:
foreignfield wrote: but really Meth might offer something in tests that the other pacers lack (swing)
This point is especially relevant for the Windies, as they use the Dukes ball for tests there. I know Meth is not in the class of Praveen Kumar, but he had a very successful test tour there about 2 years ago, swinging the ball both ways at less than 80mph. Having variety in an attack is useful, Meth is the best exponent of swing in the country. Comfortably. If ony he didn't bowl slower than Dwayne Smith...
Yes, Praveen Kumar is excactly what I was thinking of while clutching at straws.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

hhm wrote:For once use your minds to be objective in your opinions!
There's no such thing as an objective opinion, you know.

An objective assessment can only be based on facts. An opinion, meanwhile, will always be coloured by your experiences and biases (good / bad / indifferent), and hence always be subjective.

Here endeth your regular dose of pedantry. :D

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

hhm wrote:Matsi was out of the team, he worked hard in both the Stanbic Twenty20, and the Pro50 Championship, earned his chance, impressed a bit in the T20Is, but he didn't grab it the NZ ODIs, so he's back to square one.
I agree with this. It is insanity to leave Matsi out of the one day squad.

Matsi is a proven one day performer. Sure he was not great in NZ but he was no worse than any other player. Hardly anyone played with distinction in NZ.

Matsi can count himself very unlucky.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

bayhaus

Post by bayhaus »

More shockers to come...
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Matsi has had a poor season - even in his own estimation, and John Ward who looks kindly on Matsi generally, agrees.

He is also in the Elton bag of many seasons of middling to poor performance. Any of the players that Matsi would have been picked in place of would have been more unlucky than he to miss out.

cock

Post by cock »

It is amazing I have been told that Grant Flower and Heath Streak are not going on tour to the West Indies. It seems that the bowling and batting coach are not as important in comparison to the finance manager of ZC who is going

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:
hhm wrote:Matsi was out of the team, he worked hard in both the Stanbic Twenty20, and the Pro50 Championship, earned his chance, impressed a bit in the T20Is, but he didn't grab it the NZ ODIs, so he's back to square one.
I agree with this. It is insanity to leave Matsi out of the one day squad.

Matsi is a proven one day performer. Sure he was not great in NZ but he was no worse than any other player. Hardly anyone played with distinction in NZ.

Matsi can count himself very unlucky.

Matsi is a proven One Day performer? When did that happen?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

cock wrote:It is amazing I have been told that Grant Flower and Heath Streak are not going on tour to the West Indies. It seems that the bowling and batting coach are not as important in comparison to the finance manager of ZC who is going

When did you find this out

cock

Post by cock »

sloandog wrote:
cock wrote:It is amazing I have been told that Grant Flower and Heath Streak are not going on tour to the West Indies. It seems that the bowling and batting coach are not as important in comparison to the finance manager of ZC who is going

When did you find this out
I was told by one of the horses involved on friday night

FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by FlowerPower »

Now that I'm done sulking and working on what has been given my "forced" teams

Test

1. Mawoyo 2. Sibanda 3. Masakadza 4. Taylor(c) 5. Williams 6. Waller 7. Chakabva (wkt) 8. Price 9. Meth/Chatara? 10. Jarvis 11. Mpofu.

Creamer for Price if we are bullish, but who contains? Jarvis and Chatara certainly won't, Waller and Williams part time will go for runs....Utseya for a less lethal like for like swap with Ray, Pro will be tight without threatening, so that would be a defensive move....so hence the team above.

....up today I'm baffled how Rainsford missed out

ODI

1. Chibhabha 2. Mawoyo 3. Masakadza 4. Sibanda 5. Taylor (c & wkt) 6. Ervine 7. Meth 8. Utseya 9. Jarvis 10.Chatara 11. Mpofu

Mutombodzi/M'shangwe for Meth? I don't know. Do we really need a ball softener up the top, with two new balls either side? Or do we rather go with Vusi and Hami giving impetus up front?...then drop Chibhabha to middle order to finish the innings during the power play and death overs?...or do we relieve Taylor of the gloves and drop one of Chibhabha/Mawoyo for Chakabva?....bowling looks scary....

T20

Not much different except have your big guns up front it's only 20 overs:

1. Sibanda 2. Masakadza 3. Taylor (c&wkt) 4. Ervine 5. Chibhabha 6.Waller 7. Meth 8. Utseya 9. Jarvis 10.Chatara 11. Mpofu

We were always second favorites...now? No hoppers? Good luck all the same....I tip Chigs and Coventry to come in for the next few series in ODI and T20, and Rainsford HAS to come in for the Tests....or I'll dig up the pitches at HSC!
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu