Ballance talks up his England chances

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Ballance talks up his England chances

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Ballance talks up his England chances

Post by FlowerPower »

Good luck to him, but I cant help thinking he's chasing a mirage. The boy is a talent but with Jonny and Joe ahead, not to mention Kiesweter and Cook being the same age, and Strauss not slowing, and Peiterson and Trott also going steady, it may be a long wait. He is yet to break into the Lions set up, where his Yorshire mates are ahead, let alone the full English squad. Pity as I think like Taylor, Streak, Flowers and uncle Houghton he can be world class playing for lowly Zim. Of course there are other factors but if only he could stomach it for the sake of Test career, which would be guaranteed in Zim, but a dream in England. Imagine:

1 Ballance
2 Mawoyo/Marrilier
3 Sibanda
4 Taylor
5 Masakadza
6 Waller/Mutizwa/Ervine/Chigumbura
7 Taibu/Chakabva....

...ok enough imagining, what of investing in Marrilier, and put him in the opener role with Mawoyo and let Vusi flourish as my friend hhm always proposes...

1. Mawoyo
2.Marrilier
3 Sibanda
4 Taylor
5 Masakadza
6 Waller/Mutizwa/Ervine/Chigumbura
7 Taibu/Chakabva....

Looks balanced for me...forgive the pun...
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

Which Marillier, Steve or Doug?

As for uncle Gary, well, wish him all the worst.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

whats so good about marillier again?

has he even got a century yet?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

FlowerPower

Post by FlowerPower »

takleg: Ofcourse I am talking of the younger Marillier, Steve, is Doug still playing?

Doggy: As with any opener this is a craft that takes time to perfect so to expect centuries from Marillier, is unfair, but he does have 1, I thought towards the end of last season he was doing a job for the Rhinos, and more than an indication of his abilities its more a realisation that Vusi in the top order (outside opening, when the ball is older and bowlers wearier, as is the case fore Taylor, and as he (Vusi) has expressed preference,) his talents could be maximised at number 3, I see him doing a KP, bullying the tired bowlers...if not Marillier then Duffin? Besides if Mawoyo was given a go at the top without being earth moving I say we try Marillier, and free up Vusi at 3, and let Hami come in at 5 after Taylor, and Waller and crew battle it out for 6 (my choice is Waller atm) then Taibu, whose keeping is his primary role, can focus on keeping and finishing off the innings after (hopefully having rested, barring a collapse ;) )
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

Marillier still has a hang of a lot to prove tbh. As far as I'm concerned, Duffin, Ewing(even as an opener), Raza(?) are all ahead of him.

He really needs to get a few tons next season to jump the queue.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

eugene

Post by eugene »

Craig Ervine should open, although he is so awesome in the middle order too, I wonder if he can bowl or keep wicket as well?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Eugene :D

Marillier is a fair way off our best 6 or 7 batsmen. He is probably not even an A team player yet. He might open in a third tier team.

FlowerPower

Post by FlowerPower »

Fair points chaps, and a quick visit to statsguru quickly dissuades one that road, I think more than a strong argument for Marillier, was a realisation of a) how Balance would have solved that opener headache, b) how I have bought into hhm's argument that Vusi being better down the order (which I agree with, very like a KP role in England) and also pushing Hami further down where he can hopefully play with more freedom.

So then chaps now that you have sufficiently dissuaded, me of Marillier, who then? Duffin?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

speaking of HHM,

where {he} at?
Last edited by maehara on Thu May 31, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit - language
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*