T20 World Cup 2022 | 16th Oct - 13th Nov

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: T20 World Cup 2022 | 16th Oct - 13th Nov

Post by TapsC2 »

Losing Chakabva in the other formats would be a problem for now. The other keepers are not ready. As for Wellington I think we will be fine without him. How do the contracts work down under? Are they long term or something? I think we lost Panyangara and Mupariwa and a couple of other guys the same way. There must be a way of securing permanent residency or something like that.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya it sounds like there is a way. If there's a loophole or a way to get out of Dodge a Zimbo will find it.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Hopefully it's just a short-term thing.......Although I don't see why ZC would allow their vice-captain to go and play club cricket overseas as opposed to domestic cricket here this summer, if he was still part of the plans and available for selection.

We've got fixtures with Afghanistan in a few weeks. Sounds like Reggie might be finished with Zim :cry: :cry:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya thats the feeling I get. We have Mandande and Marumani on standby.
It would be weird if Marumani now jumps ahead of Mandande.
I saw a rant by an ex ZC employee about the national selections, clearly he was also confused as to how Evans keeps warming the bench. I'm not sure whether his allegation was for real or not :lol: , but we've seen it at franchise level.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:12 pm
Hopefully it's just a short-term thing.......Although I don't see why ZC would allow their vice-captain to go and play club cricket overseas as opposed to domestic cricket here this summer, if he was still part of the plans and available for selection.

We've got fixtures with Afghanistan in a few weeks. Sounds like Reggie might be finished with Zim :cry: :cry:
Plus I heard this rumour prior to their departure, so it may not have been a decision based on performance at the WC.
There's life outside of cricket and you cant live decently on what they pay here, maybe 4 guys can, but the other 120 can't.
If there's a way in there via cricket you will see others tip the fuck out as well.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It just seems like madness to burden Marumani with the gloves. He was only a part-time keeper even as a schoolboy if I recall? He has a very high ceiling with the bat - surely you let him focus 100% of his time on that? And we supposedly have a Test as part of this Afghanistan tour, which you'd think Marumani is not yet in contention for red-ball cricket.
Madande has to have a run in the side, and if he disappoints then I'd rather they just go with whatever keeper from the domestic scene and bat them as low as 8 if needed.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:24 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:12 pm

Plus I heard this rumour prior to their departure, so it may not have been a decision based on performance at the WC.
There's life outside of cricket and you cant live decently on what they pay here, maybe 4 guys can, but the other 120 can't.
If there's a way in there via cricket you will see others tip the fuck out as well.
The national contracts are very handsomely paid currently, so it's probably Reggie thinking more long-term, post-retirement.

Anyway if it's the last we see of him in a Zim shirt I'll be gutted. Clearly a disastrous WC and struggles with T20. But he's one of the better people in the game. Universally popular, a great leader over many years. That ODI 100 a couple of months ago made me so happy.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Afghanistan are trying to duck out of the test. They'd rather play more 50 over. Makes sense for them, and us, unless we are just getting absolutely bashed in the 50 over which is going to be likely. I don't share other's optimism about us being better at 50 over at all. Hope I'm wrong

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya Reggie is a good man.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I would like to think that Regis would stkck around, he has been around for so long so why would he pull out now when the team is doing far better and there is a possible World Cup to be had in less than 1 yr, and a WCQ in 7 months? May be if Zimbabwe don't qualify for the WC then we will see the retirement of Regis, Ervine and Willo, that in fact is very likely.

There is a tweet by a random user on Twitter which says Burl should bat up the order and the team should be built around Sikki and Burl, and Sikandar has liked it. The good part here could be that Sikki is not thinking of retirement anytime soon, the bad part could be that some seniors, may be like Regis, Ervine, might even contemplate retirement.

Sikki likes a lot of tweets, he has liked mine many times... I'd like to mention once when I said it is unacceptable to not have Taylor and Sikki in the T20 side (during that Scotland tour last year) and how Rajput sucks, both Sikki and Taylor at the time liked my tweet. That shows how much they wanted to get rid of Rajput. Clearly the players like Dave and we will see less discontent amongst players now.