T20 WC 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: T20 WC 2024

Post by sam_ahm »

eugene wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:09 am
Honestly I'd love to see this same format for the 50-over CWC. The higher number of associate teams is what is making this tournament interesting and they are clearly up for the fight against the big boys.
They won't be able to put up as much of a fight in 50 overs. The longer the game, the tougher it gets for them.

Meanwhile looking at Uganda's results, it is really a shame that Zimbabwe lost a place to them.

I'm quite upset about missing out on automatic qualification. I wouldn't have if it were Scotland, Namibia or Netherlands getting through, but USA? Come on man! 🤦‍♂️😒

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:38 am
eugene wrote:
Honestly I'd love to see this same format for the 50-over CWC. The higher number of associate teams is what is making this tournament interesting and they are clearly up for the fight against the big boys.
They won't be able to put up as much of a fight in 50 overs. The longer the game, the tougher it gets for them.
True, but you need to give them the chances and experience or else they never will get better. 14-16 teams for the ODI world cup would be ideal for now. Hopefully expands further in the long-term.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:28 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:38 am
eugene wrote:
True, but you need to give them the chances and experience or else they never will get better. 14-16 teams for the ODI world cup would be ideal for now. Hopefully expands further in the long-term.
Agreed. 14 teams is just about fine for ODI WC as of now and I'm glad we are having 14 teams for the next two editions.

Again on USA, they have basically won one game against Canada and have made it to Super 8s. The game against Pakistan was a Tie and I just hate this idea of a Super Over. Why can't a Tie be a Tie, unless we are playing in an ICC Knock Out match, where teams need to be seperated?

I don't know but this USA making it to Super 8s has pissed me off.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

With the way Associate cricket is going, by 2031 or 2035 I think they would be ready for a 20-team CWC.

This USA team deserves its place in the Super Eights. It isn't their fault the Ireland game was washed out and they probably would have won it anyway as Ireland haven't looked all that great. USA looked like the veteran team in the Super Over against Pakistan and certainly put up a good fight against India.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

eugene wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:30 pm
With the way Associate cricket is going, by 2031 or 2035 I think they would be ready for a 20-team CWC.

This USA team deserves its place in the Super Eights. It isn't their fault the Ireland game was washed out and they probably would have won it anyway as Ireland haven't looked all that great. USA looked like the veteran team in the Super Over against Pakistan and certainly put up a good fight against India.
It was rather Aamir who bowled 4 wides in that over, and they ran byes on all occasions. Of the 19 runs scored by USA in that Super Over, only 9 were off the bat.

Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Pat_Bee »

Amir conceding a few extras? That sounds legit :lol:

Hope it rains all night and Scotland go through at England’s expense.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Nepal coming close to beating a Test nation again. Bowling Bangladesh out for 106. Close but not close enough. Hopefully the Rhinos will learn from these experiences and won't have to wait 10 years to qualify for another world cup. Will be interesting to see how some of these teams like Nepal, USA, Scotland progress in 50 overs cricket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

A big reason why a lot of associates have done well in this World Cup is because of the low scoring pitches. It really evens out the contest drastically. The margins are very low and it can so easily go either way.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The pitches have made this the best T20 tournament ever. I'm actually engaged in the proceedings, unlike the IPL where my eyes glaze over at the sight of another SIX.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:49 pm
A big reason why a lot of associates have done well in this World Cup is because of the low scoring pitches. It really evens out the contest drastically. The margins are very low and it can so easily go either way.
Definitey true. But you have to say, the better team should win regardless of what kind of pitch they are playing on. It doesn't have to be pretty, but the quality side should prevail 9 times out of 10 even on a mudpit track.
eugene wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:06 pm
The pitches have made this the best T20 tournament ever. I'm actually engaged in the proceedings, unlike the IPL where my eyes glaze over at the sight of another SIX.
Yes and no. Its been riveting because progression/qualification has been at stake and a lot of the games have been close. And yes, I don't want to see every ball going to the boundary, but I also don't think having 112 beating 100 is a great look for T20s. On the other hand, having multiple associate sides play close or even qualify (I think the US is the only Associate side to make the super 8), vindicates the ICC's decision to have a 20 team event.

I think the 20 team world cup is probably the right number. Maybe closer to 16 is ideal, but I'm OK with 20 because it gives a few more sides some exposure. But clearly even in a 20 team event on these mostly minefield tracks, teams like Oman, PNG, and Uganda have been unable to even compete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)