T20 WC 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: T20 WC 2024

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:01 am

Of course I have a problem with women being killed, but much of what goes on in the world is outside the purview of the ICC. Afghanistan are in direct violation of ICC membership requirements. If Afghanistan shouldn't be banned for gender discrimination why were South Africa ever banned for racial discrimination?
Afghanistan's stance on women's cricket is currently under investigation by the ICC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:26 pm
If democratic countries are allowed to starve and then bomb women to shreds then why stop at simply not allowing them to play cricket? Besides Afghanistan are in on merit. The quality of cricket they've played is remarkable. Almost made it to the ODI semis and now in the T20 semis and have beaten Pakistan, England, Australia, and NZ along the way.
This is a bullshit argument. You are basically saying that because of the geo-political issues that exist that result in the war in Afghanistan, it is ok for the Afghanistan team to abuse women. That is absolutely bullshit. There is no justification. Just because one does one thing, does not allow for the other to happen. The issues here is not the geo-political issues, but rather the blatant abuse and disregard for the ICC terms of being a full member, and that Afghanistan are allowed to get away with it. It is almost akin to doping because they are being treated differently to all the other members. Zim have been banned for less. Sri Lanka have been banned for less. South Africa have been banned. So what makes Afghanistan different to all these other nations. It's simply about their terms of being a full ICC member, and if they are upholding that.
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:24 pm

b) If that money from a) above was instead given to the men, would it really make a difference to how the Zimbabwe men's team perform? Would it really turn Marumani or Madhevere into 30 average batsmen? Would it have pushed Zimbabwe past the line against Uganda, Scotland, or UAE?
More funding does make a difference. It means they can afford a higher calibre coach. They can buy a better level of equipment. Ultimately is does come down to the players, but the small things can allow those players to improve. It also means they can afford to host more series, more matches etc.

The simple fact is that Afghanistan agreed to certain rules when they became a full member. They are breaking those rules and there are no repercussions for them. Simple as that. It's unfair to the other teams.
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:13 am

Afghanistan's stance on women's cricket is currently under investigation by the ICC.
This is virtue signalling from the iCC. They are too scared to lose their darling Rashid Khan, so they are pretending to do something. They should not be allowed to play until the investigation is over. Everyone knows what is happening, they don't need to pretend to investigate anything.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

What exactly needs to be investigated? Not exactly much mystery as to what has happened to the women's team. My argument against Afghanistan is very deliberately avoiding the much more complex world of geo-politics, but is instead focused very narrowly on the ICC's own rules. There is clear government interference with the running of the ACB, and that interference is leading to a key aspect of full membership not being fulfilled. I'm not sure how anyone can argue against a ban at this point.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:15 am

This is a bullshit argument. You are basically saying that because of the geo-political issues that exist that result in the war in Afghanistan, it is ok for the Afghanistan team to abuse women.
I didn't say that.

I asked that if white countries can slaughter thousands of civilians and be accepted in international fora, then why can't brown ones ban women's sports and also be accepted in international sporting fora? I didn't say what Afghanistan is doing is OK or that I support it.
This is virtue signalling from the iCC. They are too scared to lose their darling Rashid Khan, so they are pretending to do something. They should not be allowed to play until the investigation is over. Everyone knows what is happening, they don't need to pretend to investigate anything.
This opens a can of worms. Do we then also suspend the USA because they are banning gynecological healthcare to women? A woman can survive without a cricket bat, but not a ruptured fallopian tube.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:19 am
What exactly needs to be investigated?
All allegations have to be investigated in order for due process to be fulfilled.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Kriterion, I don't know why you are having so much trouble understanding this. Cricket USA isn't mandated by the ICC to provide gynecological care to women, it is however mandated to have a women's cricket team if it wants to be a full member. Afghanistan is in direct violation of ICC requirements for full membership.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:03 am
Kriterion, I don't know why you are having so much trouble understanding this. Cricket USA isn't mandated by the ICC to provide gynecological care to women, it is however mandated to have a women's cricket team if it wants to be a full member. Afghanistan is in direct violation of ICC requirements for full membership.
I may be wrong, but I think an exception for cultural reasons had been made for Afghanistan when they were promoted in 2017.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:43 am

I didn't say that.

I asked that if white countries can slaughter thousands of civilians and be accepted in international fora, then why can't brown ones ban women's sports and also be accepted in international sporting fora? I didn't say what Afghanistan is doing is OK or that I support it.
Do you hear yourself? You may not be saying it directly, but it is definitely implied that one wrong makes another wrong ok. It's a stupid argument.

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:43 am

This opens a can of worms. Do we then also suspend the USA because they are banning gynecological healthcare to women? A woman can survive without a cricket bat, but not a ruptured fallopian tube.
Seriously dude, wtf? The ICC has no jurisdiction over US healthcare. They have jurisdiction over who is and who isn't a test playing nation. Afghanistan is a test playing and part of being one is having a womens team. They are breaking that rule, plain and simple. There is no can of worms to be opened.

Holy shit dude. You are are out here actively trying to advocate for the mistreatment of women.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:13 am
eugene wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:01 am

Of course I have a problem with women being killed, but much of what goes on in the world is outside the purview of the ICC. Afghanistan are in direct violation of ICC membership requirements. If Afghanistan shouldn't be banned for gender discrimination why were South Africa ever banned for racial discrimination?
May I point out that the 'panel' that are 'investigating' it is, of course, an all-male panel?

Also as we know the ICC is so corrupt that it wouldn't look out of place if it was headquartered in Zimbabwe.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

While we are on the subject may I post your regular reminder that Ireland are also in breach of the ICC full membership rules and have been since 2020? A full member criteria is that a domestic first class structure is payed. Ireland has not payed domestic first class cricket since August 2019.

Admittedly not playing a few games of cricket is not as bad as systematic human rights abuses and mistreatment of women, but still - both of the 'new' full members breach the rules they signed up to, to zero consequence. The ICC is toothless.

If it was Zimbabwe doing either of these things we'd be suspended quicker than you can say SRC.