2nd T20I | Zimbabwe vs India | July 7, 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: 2nd T20I | Zimbabwe vs India | July 7, 2024

Post by Pat_Bee »

Most sides realise you need to open with your best player too. Old ZimDawg and I frequently say we should open with Raza and nobody wants to hear a bar of it. Wessly contributes a third of the runs on the board yesterday striking at 110 and suddenly out comes the old what other sides are doing argument :lol: :lol:

Ya, Knackers replacing Kaia seems legit.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I can't remotely agree with guys getting run a ball for respectability. That's been ZC's default setting AND more importantly the players themselves.

That's one of the reasons I'm not rating Clive atm. Been his default as well, then everyone, particularly the "selectors" (and I use that term with a curled lip), go back over old scorecards and say he's averaging 25-30 at 110% so he must be good, but the reality is he's bogged the innings.

We have to forget about losing respectably because it's the very reason we have not improved. Look it depends on whether u bat or bowl first. Batting first the openers have to assess and play accordingly. They generally fuck it up and then 3-6 lose wickets as well and then everyone is consolidating at a run a ball and then Burl comes in and is supposed to go at 160 for 3 overs to set something worth bowling at. We're trying to get a respectable 140 to have something to bowl at. This I can understand.

Batting second I'd rather see us all out for 70 chasing 200 than being 120 all out so some dude guarantees he gets picked next game. Use the opportunity to try and play some shots and not pad your average.

You can't drop Myers. Give the dude all 5 games. Give Campbell and Bennett all 5 games.
You can drop Madhevere, Masakadza, Jongwe and Madande all day. They've had plenty opportunity and there's nothing new to see. They're good players, I'm not saying they're not, but unless Salamander has black magic we're seeing a ceiling with these guys. We need a higher ceiling. Or they need to go and reinvent themselves, but not in the national team, give the others a fair crack of the whip.
Just my 10c

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:25 pm
Most sides realise you need to open with your best player too. Old ZimDawg and I frequently say we should open with Raza and nobody wants to hear a bar of it. Wessly contributes a third of the runs on the board yesterday striking at 110 and suddenly out comes the old what other sides are doing argument :lol: :lol:

Ya, Knackers replacing Kaia seems legit.
Too many people here think with a 50 over mentality and say stuff like ‘kaia is good against the new ball pace’.

Firstly in t20 they often start with spin. They have power plays.
You only have 120 balls. It’s the equivalent of coming in at the 30th over.
You rank your best batsman 1-6 and that’s the order they come in. Maybe tweak that to put the most destructive player up front if he isn’t the best.

Raza needs to open as you want to give him as much width to make a good score.
Even if he opens he probably only faces 60 balls.
If he comes off it’s blitzkrieg.

Otherwise you get Wes run a ball 40’s.

Bennett and Raza must open.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:08 pm

Firstly in t20 they often start with spin. They have power plays.
You only have 120 balls. It’s the equivalent of coming in at the 30th over.
You rank your best batsman 1-6 and that’s the order they come in. Maybe tweak that to put the most destructive player up front if he isn’t the best.

Raza needs to open as you want to give him as much width to make a good score.
Even if he opens he probably only faces 60 balls.
If he comes off it’s blitzkrieg.
That’s exactly the game. Need the best guys up top, leaving him to come in at 4 is about 15 years behind the times.

Ya, Raza needs to face the most balls possible and he ain’t doing that down at 4 or 5 and more often than not he’s coming in under pressure having to swing from ball one with 17/3 or something on the board.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Raza
Bennett
Knackers
Myers
Wez
Jonno
Marumani
Wellington
Faraz
Larry
Blessing

That team will beat India 4-1 :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Burl and Naqvi would be more suited to open.

Bennett is doing fine at three and is young. Let him settle.

All of Raza’s success has been at 5. He’s played for about 50 different teams all around the world under some exceptional coaches and not a single one ever has thought he should open, which says a lot. He has been successful in his current position, leave him be. He’s also captaining, bowling, and is our best fielder. Why add opening to his list of duties. We can’t be a 1-man team, someone else has to step up sometimes.

Burl
Naqvi
Bennett
Myers
Raza
Campbell/Marumani
Madande

….Is a T20 lineup I would like to try.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Burl should give it a try. I 100% agree there. Watching Kaia getting dismissed twice in 24 hours with the same delivery got me doubting the idea because Burl has a similar weakness but as a professional cricketer with that much experience he should be able to adjust his technique to counter that. He is capable of opening.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Wez strikes at 118 and Ponzo at 116 according to cricinfo :lol:

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:33 pm
Burl and Naqvi would be more suited to open.

Bennett is doing fine at three and is young. Let him settle.

All of Raza’s success has been at 5. He’s played for about 50 different teams all around the world under some exceptional coaches and not a single one ever has thought he should open, which says a lot. He has been successful in his current position, leave him be. He’s also captaining, bowling, and is our best fielder. Why add opening to his list of duties. We can’t be a 1-man team, someone else has to step up sometimes.

Burl
Naqvi
Bennett
Myers
Raza
Campbell/Marumani
Madande

….Is a T20 lineup I would like to try.
So if Raza comes in at 5 and comes in the 11th over, it makes sense for our best T20 bay to face about 25 balls?

Was Raza the best batter in these other teams?

Why should Naqvi open? He hasn’t earnt that.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:39 pm
Why should Naqvi open? He hasn’t earnt that.
Our middle order is stacked, there really isn’t much of a vacancy. The vacancy is at the top. If he’s as desperate to play for us as his bank statement suggests then he should try at the top.

If I’m throwing anyone to the wolves then it’s him.