Minor Asian Teams Thread (2024-2027)

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Minor Asian Teams Thread (2024-2027)

Post by Kriterion_BD »

For the non-India Test nations.

Afghanistan will be hosting South Africa in a 3-match ODI series in UAE in September outside of the FTP. Hopefully the Saffers send a full strength squad. ACB getting increased fixtures due to their impressive showing in back to back world cups.

Other bit of interesting news...Bangladesh and Pakistan are in the middle of an A team series in Darwin, Australia of all places. Bangladesh seem to be following the recent Indian tactic of sending an A side on a shadow tour just prior to the main team's Test tour. Mushfiqur Rahim and Mominul Haque will be headlining the Bangladesh A team's tour of Pakistan next month.

Sri Lanka have yet another new white ball captain...Asalanka takes over in ODIs from Kusal Mendis.

Also India (T20) and Bangladesh (ODI) will be hosting the next two Asia Cups in 2025 and 2027, respectively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Minor Asian Teams Thread (2024-2027)

Post by eugene »

Pakistan is a minor nation now? I guess they did lose to the United States.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:26 am
Pakistan is a minor nation now? I guess they did lose to the United States.
Definitely. They are way behind Afghanistan now in white ball at least. Afghanistan went to the semi-finals, Pakistan didn't even make to the Super 8 stage :lol: . In fact, when was the last time Pakistan qualified for the semi-finals of any world cup? Have they achieved anything of note in the last 25 years? Pakistan up until 2000 or maybe a little after that were big dogs. But the past 20 odd years they've been bang average.

Pakistan also drop a game every series vs Zimbabwe. You can say they are just the bunny team...but that just proves Pakistan aren't a major side anymore.

eugene

Post by eugene »

They won the Champions Trophy in 2017 and the T20 World Cup in 2009, along with being runners-up in 2022.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:31 am
They won the Champions Trophy in 2017 and the T20 World Cup in 2009, along with being runners-up in 2022.
I think Sri Lanka have at least as many credentials in the last 20 years as Pakistan.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I would rate Pakistan ahead of Sri Lanka. I think Sri Lanka are gone from the top table of teams for a long time ahead, whereas I still think Pakistan can pull something out in a major tournament.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:24 am
I would rate Pakistan ahead of Sri Lanka. I think Sri Lanka are gone from the top table of teams for a long time ahead, whereas I still think Pakistan can pull something out in a major tournament.
They CAN...but they do it way too rarely given how few major teams are there. Its like India winning one ICC event out of the last 10...when everyone knows they ought to be winning a lot more with how much money and power they have over the game. And Pakistan have been shit in Tests and ODIs - the two most traditional formats of the game for the longest time. USA is doing well in T20...so it kinda just shows you how meaningless the T20 format is when USA can start dominating the format.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

While I agree that Pakistan have fallen way off the radar, and are no longer a 'top' side, like how they were until the mid 2000s they have still been runners up at 2022 T20 WC and SFs at 2021 T20 WC, so they kind of keep putting up some good results here and there.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

BCB definitely set for some major changes as the government of Bangladesh has resigned and the army has taken over pending an interim government.

The Bangladesh A team was supposed to depart for Pakistan today, but the airport was shut down, and the team's been delayed by 48 hours.

Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Pat_Bee »

India is a minor team judging by today’s showing :lol: