Has supporting Zimbabwe cricket stopped being fun?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
andrea lanzoni

Re: Has supporting Zimbabwe cricket stopped being fun?

Post by andrea lanzoni »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:39 am
They did improve last season to be fair; Union Hardware and Plascon adverts bringing in advertisement revenue and those dodgy 1990s style graphics for fours and sixes :lol: even slow motion replays they didn’t bother removing the sound from so you’d hear a deep, drawn out HHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT?!
I just typed on YouTube "zimbabwe logan cup cricket"

First footage I got is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzkLGAwCxA

- there is only one camera focused on pitch
- after only 0.52 seconds (due to wind?) the image starts 'dancing' erratically.....
- if you check the comments below you may read by a certain @georgemacpherson1992: Its missing the first part of the day. Overs 15 to 50. Doesn't show all the runs from 47/1 to 206/2. Needs sorting out

Hard to an aswer your appeal......

On the other hand, the good news: although, for the above reported reasons, the footage can only be considered unwatchable, I've been positive impressed by the 1.671 impressions. It is a figure not far away from some County matches.
Really: if such an unbroadcastable footage got so many impressions, it is worth to consider what might be achieved with a just a barely acceptable recording.

Then I wondered, maybe it is just a First Class curse...
Let's type on YouTube: "zimbabwe 2024 NPL T20 Blast".
I got: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih5QUGo1FsI

Same as before: one camera for the pitch only, if a batsman hits you are in the domain of guessing where the ball might be.

Anyhow, in such a miserble show, another good news: YouTube reads 6.850 impressions. It's not bad at all for such a miserble footage.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Like others have said, it’s the game.
Too many games, mean they carry less weight.
Test is only for the top 3, and there’s really no rhyme or reason to them apart from the ashes. They are just exhibition bouts. England play 17, Zimbabwe play 1-2, South Africa 6.
Three formats where one format has become a cheap version of cricket with endless amount of leagues spread out all over the world where Indian descendants live.

Even where cricket is big, like in Australia, no one is really passionate about cricket the same way they are with the AFL or NRL. It’s just a backdrop sport for most. One where a lot of people like to play or follow scores but that’s about it. Very rarely do you see a passionate cricket supporter now on the street and when you do, it’s only for the national team or a BBL team.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Pat_Bee »

It’s a niche market and not worth splashing the big bucks on with quality broadcasting. A go pro on top of each sightscreen has minimal costs, not like you’re paying a camera man for eight hours work. Most of the viewers on YouTube have nothing better to do, are die hards or are Asians looking to gamble.

jw2

Post by jw2 »

eugene wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:49 am
The joy of supporting Zimbabwe in the 90s and 2000s was seeing us hang tough with the big boys and pick up victories on a regular basis. Beating Pakistan in tests home and away, murdering England at home in 1996/1997, beating India and South Africa at the 1999 CWC, the ODI series win in New Zealand 2000/2001. Now we rarely play anyone other than associates and we still don't win most of the time. I have little interest in seeing us pummel Burkina Faso or Gambia, in fact it is a joke we are even playing them given the huge disparity of funding. So yes, it stopped being fun quite some time ago, probably the turning point for me was failure to qualify for the 2019 CWC after the UAE debacle.

As other have said, in all honesty cricket as a whole has become boring, I watch almost no cricket these days - 20 years ago I watched it all the time. I have zero interest in the T20 leagues and test cricket is treated as second rate outside of the big 3. ODI Cricket has sadly been left to die also.
Eugene, you describe my feelings exactly!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

In theory* we have 11 Tests in 12 months between December this year and next, including against England, South Africa and New Zealand. Hopefully that can renew some interest for some of us.

*Of course many of these might not happen - but let's hope and pray.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:10 pm
In theory* we have 11 Tests in 12 months between December this year and next, including against England, South Africa and New Zealand. Hopefully that can renew some interest for some of us.

I wonder who will be in our team. Imagine all games will be played inside the first two days.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:

Where can we see the international schedule?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:30 am
secretzimbo wrote:

Where can we see the international schedule?
viewtopic.php?p=269448#p269448