[U19 World Cup] Zimbabwe vs Windies

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: [U19 World Cup] Zimbabwe vs Windies

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

totoro wrote: I don't see enough evidence to give him out...
Of course there wasn't any. What do you expect from an Englishman? Jumping at the thought of sending Zim home, did not even spend enough time on the decision as if he had a plane to catch...

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

aydee wrote:
Googly wrote:They have to change this law. All you need to do is insist that the batsman is warned once the first time, that's all. That motherfuxker started his run up with the intention of running him out. I blame Conant.
Precisely. Stops non-strikers cheating (which Ngarava wasn't), and prevents this sort of scene from happening unless the batsman is stupid enough to do it twice, in which case he probably deserves to be out...
I think it could be even simpler: If a non-striker is really cheating (not marginal bat on the line-stuff), the umpire should simply not award the run. Where's the difference to a short run? It shouldn't be the bowler's task to keep the non-striker in check.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

Googly wrote:They have to change this law. All you need to do is insist that the batsman is warned once the first time, that's all. That motherfuxker started his run up with the intention of running him out. I blame Conant.

:D :D :D :)

I don't know what it is about ZIMDOGGY. To demonstrate his independence, he must just disagree with everybody, or air out an unpopular and indiscriminate view :(

I have always doubted he was Zimbabwean, anyway. Even Rhodesians had more empathy. :D

The whole idea on Mankading, at least was to prevent batsmen running our of their crease to gain an advantage, which in this case CLEARLY wasn't the case.

After reviewing the footage, the captain however young, enthusiastic, immature he might have been, should have withdrawn his appeal. Really disappointed by West Indian cricket.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Googly wrote:Also the bowler should have to be into his delivery and his bowling arm should be above his head just prior to release, in my opinion.
Or this. Perhaps better.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

But who really cares about the future? Won't change the result of this game. Can someone share the exact wordings of the law around Mankading?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Would be wrong to universally condemn all West Indians as cheats:

"Among the most famous instances of a dismissal not being effected under this mode was when Courtney Walsh famously let Saleem Jaffar off with a warning in the last over of a 1987 World Cup match in Lahore. The last Pakistan pair was in and they needed four off the last ball when Walsh refused the run-out that would have sealed the match. Pakistan went on to win, which cost West Indies a potential semi-final place."

Hats off to Courtney Walsh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

totoro
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by totoro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:But who really cares about the future? Won't change the result of this game. Can someone share the exact wordings of the law around Mankading?
The bowler is permitted, before releasing the ball and provided he has not completed his usual delivery swing, to attempt to run out the non-striker. Whether the attempt is successful or not, the ball shall not count as one of the over. if the bowler fails in an attempt to run out the non-striker, the umpire shall call and signal dead ball as soon possible.

quoted from PCF.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:But who really cares about the future? Won't change the result of this game. Can someone share the exact wordings of the law around Mankading?
Wow, found a very relevamt piece...addresses every issue of today's unfortunate incident. I'll paste the link and the entire article.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/mcc/content ... 61239.html

Stay in the crease, the MCC has once again reiterated to the batsmen, and avoid being mankaded. That missive was sent by the MCC's World Cricket Committee at the conclusion of its two-day meeting at Lord's when the panel said that it was "unequivocal in its belief" that the existing Law did not need any changes.

Mankading has long been a controversial topic and caused a lengthy debate in May when Sri Lanka's offspinner Sachithra Senanayake ran out Jos Buttler at Edgbaston for backing up too far after being warned initially. England captain Alastair Cook expressed disappointment at Senanayake's action when he said: "I was pretty disappointed with it to be honest with you. I hope I wouldn't do it."

The World Cricket Committee, which is headed by former England captain Mike Brearley and includes eminent ex-cricketers in Steve Waugh, Rahul Dravid, Andrew Strauss and Shaun Pollock, said that the Law concerning the running out the non-striker was clear and the dismissal was not against the Spirit of Cricket.

"The World Cricket Committee reviewed the Law relating to running out the non-striker, in light of the dismissal of Jos Buttler in May's ODI series between England and Sri Lanka. It was unequivocal in its belief that the Law, as written, does not require any alteration," the MCC release said.

A lot of the ambiguity stems from the difference between the ICC Playing Conditions and the MCC Laws: while the MCC states the run out attempt must come before the bowler enters his delivery stride, the ICC allow it to come any time before the bowler completes his "delivery swing".

However Strauss, Cook's predecessor, said it was wrong to put forth the Spirit of Cricket argument. "This is not a Spirit of Cricket issue. This is just law of the game issue," he told ESPNcricinfo.

Asked if the committee was concerned if their advice could be misunderstood by the bowlers at the grassroot and club levels, who could employ deliberate tricks to get mankading, Strauss stressed that Law was completely transparent.

"There is a very strong feeling in the committee, and certainly one I share, that the obvious way to counteract any threat of mankading is to keep yourself fin the crease," Strauss said. "That is part of the Laws of the game. If you are out of the crease when the bowler delivers the ball you are running the risk of getting out. So it is a genuine dismissal.

"And it is a very easy thing for the batsman to do: you just watch the bowler bowl and once he has delivered you leave the crease. I don't think batsmen can justify being out of the crease in that manner and feel that it is unfair that they are run out.

At Edgbaston, after Senanayake had run out Buttler, the umpires asked Angelo Mathews, the Sri Lanka captain, if he wanted to uphold the appeal. Mathews confirmed he wanted the appeal to stand and
Strauss said it was unnecessary to give prior warning to the batsman.

"There is no obligation on the part of a bowler or a captain to give anyone a warning. It is up to a captain to decide whether he wants to uphold the appeal if the bowler does do it. Especially in this day and age of Twenty20 cricket batsmen look to back up as far as they can. This is an opportunity for the fielding side to say don't do that, stay in your crease and if you stay in your crease everything would be fine."

The committee statement added: "The unanimous view of the committee was that if the non-striker is out of his ground earlier than allowed in either the Laws of Cricket or the International Playing Conditions, then he can have no complaints should he be dismissed in this manner. Furthermore, the committee believes it was not against the Spirit of Cricket to uphold such an appeal, and urges batsmen to ensure they do not try to gain an unfair advantage by moving out of their crease before the appropriate time."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq6auq5cyQ (Jaylen Brown, 2024 NBA Finals MVP)

Googly

Post by Googly »

And that's precisely why I don't like you. Get that chip off your shoulder, bud. We're three decades on from independence and you still keep bringing it up. You live in the past and you're a racist, that would make you more Rhodesian than I.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Kriterion_BD wrote:Wow, found a very relevamt piece...addresses every issue of today's unfortunate incident. I'll paste the link and the entire article.
Of course the MCC thinks it is right, the MCC is always right ... In reality they are basing their spirit of cricket tripe on the fact that most international cricketers and captains are more sportsmanlike and do not take the law at its face value.

I really hope that we'll see a barrage of mankading at the highest level now. Let's see who can mankad the most non-strikers at the next World T20.

Out of interest, does the umpire still have to signal dead ball before a batsman can safely walk out of his crease, or did they change that law which Ranatunga used to rob Zim of a Test victory in SL way back when?