Williams joins Rhinos

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Williams joins Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

HARARE - Matabeleland Tuskers’ all-rounder Sean Williams has joined Mid West Rhinos following his decision to relocate to Harare.

The left-hander opted to drive half the distance between Bulawayo and Harare to play for the Kwekwe-based franchise side.

Williams successfully made his return to the national team at this year’s Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand after he was controversially dropped from the touring party to Bangladesh at the end of last year after falling out with former coach Steve Mangongo.

Upon returning from the World Cup, Williams got married to his fiancée of four years Chantelle Dexter and the 28-year-old said the move to Harare would help him spend more time with his spouse while at the same time according himself ample time to train with the national team whose base is in the capital.

“Yes I have moved up to Harare now and renting a place in a complex in Mount Pleasant. Leaving Tuskers was never going to happen as long as I was playing but the travelling became too much and getting married meant time apart, with training in Harare,” Williams told the Daily News yesterday.

“So we decided to move up here (Harare) together and be together which has been a lot easier for us.

“I will be going to the Rhinos this domestic season which is half way between Harare and Bulawayo but training will be done in Harare.”

In the aftermath of his snub, Zimbabwe was convincingly beaten during the Bangladesh tour, losing the Test series 3-0 and the ODIs 5-0 which ultimately cost Mangongo his job.

Zimbabwe Cricket then appointed Dav Whatmore, only a few weeks before the World Cup.

The former Sri Lanka and Pakistan coach immediately recalled Williams to the national team for the World Cup.

Although Zimbabwe failed to reach the last eight of the competition, Williams was the team’s second highest run scorer with 339 runs at an average of 26.50 in six innings.

He was also the team’s second highest wicket-taker with seven from six innings at an average of 40.85.

Meanwhile, the senior men’s national team is currently in camp winding up preparations for the incoming home series against Pakistan which gets underway at Harare Sports Club with the first Twenty20 encounter on Sunday.

Terrible journalism again especially the maths, Williams score 339 runs in 6 innings ( with one Not Out ) which means his average would be 67.8 not 26.5 ......

http://www.dailynews.co.zw/articles/201 ... R8.twitter
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Williams joins Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Looks like Sean needed some time off as well ......

Zimbabwe cricket team middle order batsman Sean Williams was back at training on Monday as he sought to make up for lost time after missing practice for most of last week ahead of the series against Pakistan.

Williams missed team’s bonding camp in Gweru, having requested some days off last week, raising doubts about his preparedness ahead of the national team’s limited overs series against Pakistan starting on Sunday.

However, the talented Bulawayo-born left handed batsman allayed any such fears, saying he was eager to get back to his best during the upcoming series.

Williams took part in a net session with the rest of the squad under the watchful eye of coach Dav Whatmore in the morning before taking part in a T20 encounter practice match.

“It’s always good to be back with the team,” Williams told NewsDay Sport in an interview. “I’ve been hitting some balls in the nets and I’m now looking forward to the warm up matches.

Despite a decent series against New Zealand last month, Williams said he was not happy with his form with both bat and ball since the World Cup in Australasia and had been working hard to get back to his best.

“Obviously my form has definitely gone down a bit since the World Cup,” he said. “I have been struggling to find the right balance between by batting and bowling and have been working hard on both areas. It has not been easy, though. There were some things that have been going on in my life but it’s behind me now and I’m looking forward to doing well during this series.”

Zimbabwe will be confident of doing well against Pakistan after competing against the subcontinent nation when the two teams met last met in May.

Although Zimbabwe lost all four matches in both the T20 and ODIs during the much publicised tour, they were by no means disgraced, as they put on some solid performances.

Williams said, with the added advantage of playing in more familiar conditions during the upcoming series, he was confident they would do well.

“We could have won two games easily in Pakistan. Infact we should have won those matches but now that we are playing them at home we should be able to do very well. I understand the wickets that are being prepared should give us a bit of an advantage as they will allow us to bowl more spin, while nullifying their seam attack which is very quick,” Williams said.

Zimbabwe will face Pakistan in two T-20s and three One-Day Internationals (ODIs) with the first match set for Harare Sports Club on September 27. The second T20 takes place on September 29 while the three ODIs have been slated for October 1, 3 and 5 respectively.

The Pakistanis, who last week named a strong squad, are expected in the country on Thursday.

Zimbabwe Squad: Richmond Mutumbami (wk), Chamu Chibhabha, Craig Ervine, Hamilton Masakadza, Sean Williams, Elton Chigumbura (capt), Sikandar Raza, Graeme Cremer, Tinashe Panyangara, Christopher Mpofu, Prosper Utseya, Taurai Muzarabani, Luke Jongwe, John Nyumbu, Malcolm Waller

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2015/09/22/wi ... oosts-zim/
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Williams joins Rhinos

Post by eugene »

With Utseya essentially a non-bowling tailender, Williams is now expected to not only be our best batsmen but also our leading spinner. A tough ask.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes