Victoria Falls Stadium

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Victoria Falls Stadium

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I'm guessing nothing has happened since last year. But let's just assume this is not a pie-in-the-sky idea and it's actually going to happen as a modest 4000 capacity boutique venue.

Pros

- Should attract tourism
- Three international venues could make Zimbabwe a chance to host events like the ICC World Twenty20 or an U19 WC
- The location could lend itself to becoming a desirable neutral venue (like Dubai)
- Cricket ovals are big enough to host rugby and soccer matches; so the venue could be used for more than cricket
- An infrastructure project like this creates jobs, maybe there'd be some government support for the project. Maybe the ICC would give financial support.
- Could help the development of cricket in Matabeleland North (this is a good story incidentally)

Cons

- Cost
- It could take a long time to recoup the initial outlay
- If ZC can't even get floodlights through customs how can they possibly build a new stadium
- Given ZC are reluctant to play tours in more than one city, is a third venue warranted and would it be underused or would Bulawayo suffer even more
- Could you fill a 4000+ capacity venue in Vic Falls?

As I've mentioned in other threads I think the first step to making this a success is to be predictable in fixturing. So holiday-goers know if they are in Vic Falls on this date, there will be a game of cricket on. Like the MCG and Boxing Day or the SCG and the New Year's Test. So if I was ZC, I'd lock in the next 10 years worth of Vic Falls fixtures against SA, India, Aus, Bangladesh, etc so that the Good Friday Test match or the Christmas Eve T20 or whatever date is chosen is set in concrete, people can plan around it and it becomes a tradition.

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Victoria Falls Stadium

Post by gargamel »

I didnt even bother to read the whole pros and cons but i can assure you that this stadium is a disaster in waiting. The basic facts are that there is no market in terms of locals to follow cricket and support a franchise in Vic Falls, Fans truely cannot afford to travel all that way to see the National team play there
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It is a stupid, stupid idea.
It's reminiscent of an April fools joke or a rich Emirati Shiekh bored with money to play.

Not even CA or a rich cricketing organisation would undertake such a move. If they felt the need, they would strike A deal with the state government to build it.

This is a bad idea for a well funded organisation let alone a cash strapped one that can't afford basic wages. As gargamel even said it's doomed to fail horribly.

It actually angers me when people on this forum praise the idea.
People don't go to Vic falls to watch cricket. They don't wen go to queens at Bulawayo!
There aren't even many locals there. Do they even have club teams?

The only thing I can think of is the stadium will be leased out for festivals and events but I seriously doubt that, and even so you're better of pulling something like that off in Harare. The only place in the country where a strong upper middle class exists.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

A few questions:

1. How much would ZC make in gate-takings from a typical match at HSC or Queens?
2. Does ZC have a stake in either of those two sports clubs? (ie. what is the financial arrangement for the ground being used for matches, for headquarters of Eagles/Tuskers/ZC - who is paying who?)
3. How many affluent tourists would Zimbabwe get in any given year; and of those how many would venture outside of Victoria Falls?

To the best of my knowledge, ZC currently do nothing to attract tourism dollars - whereas CA, CSA etc have been savvy by way of offering tour packages and member benefits. Imagine the possibilities were ZC to fully own-and-operate it's own venue in Africa's most well known tourist town.

Sure it's a big risk - and under the watchful eye of the heavily-in-debt and questionably-managed ZC we all know and love, with the inevitable interference of the government, in an economy that is really struggling maybe it is doomed to failure. But I think a bold infrastructure project like this could surprise us, in spite of all the obstacles.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It was probably designed as a moneyp it to siphon funds
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:It was probably designed as a moneyp it to siphon funds
Most probably AC thought it up.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Not really sure who will use this stadium. Harare is about the only place with viable infrastructure these days.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes