BREAKING: Finally! Chigumbura resigns as skipper

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

BREAKING: Finally! Chigumbura resigns as skipper

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

http://www.sportal.co.nz/cricket/news/c ... cxmewududg
Zimbabwe will begin the search for a new captain after Elton Chigumbura resigned following their drawn series with Bangladesh.
Elton Chigumbura has stepped down from leading Zimbabwe in all three forms of the game after guiding them to a 2-2 Twenty20 series draw with Bangladesh.
On Friday, Zimbabwe battled their way to an 18-run victory in the fourth T20 in Khulna, the tourists recording back-to-back wins to comeback from 2-0 down to salvage a draw.
Following the victory Chigumbura – who took has led all three teams since July 2014 – announced his resignation, leaving Zimbabwe looking for his replacement ahead of the ICC World T20.

"I have enjoyed the challenges that came with leading the team," he said in a statement.
"Now I feel it's the best time to leave it to the next guy to lead us so I can focus on my game as a player.
"I am sure I will lead from the front as a senior player as I still believe I have more years of playing in me and of winning games for the team."

CrimsonAvenger

Re: BREAKING: Finally! Chigumbura resigns as skipper

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

And now the corresponding Cricinfo article has this bit of information: http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe/co ... 64543.html
Zimbabwe Cricket is yet to name a replacement. The team's next assignment is likely to be a short limited-overs tour of West Indies in February ahead of the World T20 in India.

Ming

Post by Ming »

So, do we give the role to Hami or Raza?
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Ming wrote:So, do we give the role to Hami or Raza?
Raza makes better sense, no point adding unnecessary burden of captaincy on Hamilton. He can focus on being the lead batsman. Raza has shown that he has the heart and charisma for the job anyway. Is Williams a dark horse?

aydee

Post by aydee »

Surely it will be Hamilton.

Thanks for your efforts Elton. Hopefully this will lead to an improvement in fortunes for him. Undoubtedly Zim's best T20 XI would contain an in form Chigumbura.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Should be Hamilton as his place in the side is secure (or at least it should be). Raza is still not one of the first 3 on the team sheet.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Sean Williams for me; I think it'll really spur him on

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Raza for me any day but I m sure it will be given to HM
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

eugene

Post by eugene »

sloandog wrote:Sean Williams for me; I think it'll really spur him on
Assuming he is sticking around.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

sloandog wrote:Sean Williams for me; I think it'll really spur him on
He's a bit of a dark horse for me as far as his captaincy is concerned, but I've got a hunch that he would make a useful, integrative and communicative, leader-by-committee captain who would'nt lack ideas or the guts to try things in the field. On the other hand he could be a rather weak leader of men ... I would really like to sit down for a job interview with him to form a more thorough opinion.

For Raza the timing is terrible. Right now it's imperative that he sorts his own game out.

From ZC's perspective Hamilton is the obvious and safe choice for the immediate future, with the World T20 just around the corner. I have always been under the impression that he is a reluctant captain, though. In the past he has often stepped in when needed, therefore I think he will shoulder the burden for now, if asked to, and I hope he'll be comfortable with the role and still in great form in March.