Black XI v White XI - who would win?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Black XI v White XI - who would win?

Post by eugene »

I have been thinking lately about how much Zimbabwean cricket has transformed over the last 15 years. I remember when I could only name about 4 or 5 black players but now they are the dominant force within Zimbabwean cricket with many of our best players now being black. So what I have done is come up with a Black XI and a White XI to see which side I thought stronger. I think it is fairly evenly balanced. What are your thoughts?

Black XI.
1. Hamilton Masakadza
2. Vusi Sibanda
3. Chamu Chibhabha
4. Tatenda Taibu (w)
5. Stuart Matsikenyeri
6. Elton Chigumbura (c)
7. Foster Mutizwa
8. Prosper Utseya
9. Timycen Maruma
10. Edward Rainsford
11. Chris Mpofu

White XI.
1. Brendan Taylor (w)
2. Douglas Marillier
3. Sean Williams
4. Craig Ervine
5. Charles Coventry
6. Andy Blignaut
7. Keegan Meth
8. Greg Lamb
9. Graeme Cremer
10. Ray Price (c)
11. Kyle Jarvis
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

mdm
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Black XI v White XI - who would win?

Post by mdm »

In terms of including everyone in the team i think Zimbabwe has done quite a lot, however i think threads like this always make everyone dwell on the past and dont allow us as to move forward. Lets stop categorising players in this manner. We should be one Zimbabwe regardless of colour. Hopefully sometime soon our skin will mean nothing in terms of being a Zimbabwean. I think Zimcricket forums should be about unity I know everyone has their views and stuff but lets move from this black or white stuff and to hoping for a united team.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

mdm wrote:In terms of including everyone in the team i think Zimbabwe has done quite a lot, however i think threads like this always make everyone dwell on the past and dont allow us as to move forward. Lets stop categorising players in this manner. We should be one Zimbabwe regardless of colour. Hopefully sometime soon our skin will mean nothing in terms of being a Zimbabwean. I think Zimcricket forums should be about unity I know everyone has their views and stuff but lets move from this black or white stuff and to hoping for a united team.
Damn straight this post should not be on this site. The Zimbabwean National Team should be pick as such A Zimbabwean team regardless on colour, race and stuff. We cant favour a certain class of players. I think as Mangongo puts it We can not continue to dwell on prayers who continuously fail to perform we may as well have a look at other players.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

There is nothing wrong with this thread guys.

Why does everyone act so insecure about race? If you truly thought race didnt matter a thread like this shouldnt get you nervous at all.

Think of it in politically correct terms of "a measure of how far black players have progressed in Zimbabwean cricket'

I think its a very good topic.

Looking at the team above, i think the white team would win however it would be a good match up.

5 years ago it would have been a whitewash (pardon the pun).

I wonder what it will be like in another ten years?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:There is nothing wrong with this thread guys.

Why does everyone act so insecure about race? If you truly thought race didnt matter a thread like this shouldnt get you nervous at all.

Think of it in politically correct terms of "a measure of how far black players have progressed in Zimbabwean cricket'

I think its a very good topic.

Looking at the team above, i think the white team would win however it would be a good match up.

5 years ago it would have been a whitewash (pardon the pun).

I wonder what it will be like in another ten years?
I agree with Doggy on this one, I think the thread has some juice in it. The threads recently have become slightly stale, good idea Eugene. And i would say that the ehites would win ;)

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Zim doggy is so rite I am in SA and THEY definitely have race problems. You just have to tread so lightly around race that its ridiculous. I was discussing with an old school mate about race relations in high school and I asked him if he knew anyone in his class that he could clearly say was racist and he couldnt pick one person and the general ratio was like 20 white people to 10 black people in each class. I dont think Zim has a race problem generally and Zanu just uses it as a scape goat but not based on realty. I would have Tibba as the captain and because the way the guys battle with spin and the lack of real pace in the blacks bowling attack the whites would probably win.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

mdm

Post by mdm »

My point is race doesnt matter thats why we shouldnt compare each other based on the colour of our skin, as long as we keep doing that we will always think of ourselves as black Zimbabweans or white Zimbabweans. This thread is in no way productive (Just my opinion).

Cheers.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The point of this post was to actually show how much of a transformation Zimbabwean cricket has undergone and the great strides made in expanding the game to the balck community. I figured the best way to highlight this progress was to show that the balance of power within Zimbabwean cricket is very even these days - 10 years ago an all-black team wouldn't have come close to beating an all-white side. If anything this thread is a celebration of racial diversity and the progress cricket has made from being a minority sport to one that is all-inclusive. It never even occured to me that this post would be viewed by some as racist.

By the way - I think the white team would win in longer forms of the game due to its batting strength but that perhaps the black team would win in T20 due to Chigumbura.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

The point of this post was to actually show how much of a transformation Zimbabwean cricket has undergone and the great strides made in expanding the game to the balck community. I figured the best way to highlight this progress was to show that the balance of power within Zimbabwean cricket is very even these days - 10 years ago an all-black team wouldn't have come close to beating an all-white side. If anything this thread is a celebration of racial diversity and the progress cricket has made from being a minority sport to one that is all-inclusive. It never even occured to me that this post would be viewed by some as racist.
Well said! You have looked at it from a totally different perspective. It does show how far Zim has gone. South Africa could not dream of coming up with a similar comparison. Puts a lot of things in persepective. Nice One!
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

mdm wrote:My point is race doesnt matter thats why we shouldnt compare each other based on the colour of our skin, as long as we keep doing that we will always think of ourselves as black Zimbabweans or white Zimbabweans. This thread is in no way productive (Just my opinion).

Cheers.

We can discuss whatever we want barring we dont swear or ridicule.

no different than the Afrikaner v non afrikaner thread,
or the past zimbo v present zim threads etc.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*