Foreign quartet joins Mountaineers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Foreign quartet joins Mountaineers

Post by maehara »

MOUNTAINEERS are building on the successes of the 2009/2010 season and have secured the services of Aussie coach, Sean Clingeleffer and the gifted UK-based trio of Greg Smith, Tony Palladino and Gareth Cross, Post Sport can reveal.

In an exclusive interview on Wednesday, Mountaineers chief executive officer, Phil Senzani confirmed the development.
The trio of Smith from Derbyshire, Palladino from Essex and Cross from Lancashire will be expected to play a crucial role in enhancing Mountaineers dominance by virtue of their experiences in the prestigious County league in England.

"Yes, I can confirm the acquisition of the three players who were based in the UK. They are experienced players whom we hope will play a crucial role in enhancing our dominance on the local scene.
"We also want to take this opportunity to welcome back those players who were part of the franchise last season and are continuing from where they left.
"As Mountaineers, we are geared to cement our dominance in franchise cricket. We will also go out of our way to ensure that we identify and develop talent from grassroots level," Senzani said.

For Smith, it will be a welcome return to Mountaineers' colours after thrilling fans with his cavalier style of play during the Stanbic T20 series in February this year while Palladino is also expected to add value being the inspiration behind Namibia during the same series in which he finished as the highest wicket taker.

However, it is the arrival of Gareth Cross that is set to keep fans on the edges of their seats. The Lancashire wicketkeeper-cum-batsman has built a reputation of being a big hitter of the cricket ball and eccentric wicketkeeper who occasionally bowls.

The Mountaineers boss added that the decision to engage the Australian coach, Clingeleffer was a result of the former head coach Steve Mangongo's appointment to the national team coaching structures.
The highly-rated Mangongo is currently heading the Zim-A technical staff as well as assistant to the senior national team coach.
He, however, remains at Mountaineers as assistant coach.

"There were some changes to the technical staff as Sean Clingeleffer is set to join the Mountaineers from his base in Hobart, Australia. Clingeleffer is expected to take over from (Steve) Mangongo as head coach of the franchise. Mangongo is still with us as Clingeleffer's assistant. I should hasten to say that we have not yet finalised the deal with Clingeleffer, but we are almost through.
"I am sure we are all aware of the commitments at national team level that Mangongo will certainly be preoccupied with and that is the main reason behind the changes in the technical department. Nonetheless, Mangongo remain an asset to us as Mountaineers," he said.

The Mountaineers boss also confirmed the acquisition of forgotten one time Zimbabwe speed merchant, Tinashe Panyangara. Panyangara led the Zimbabwe bowling attack at the height of mass desertion by senior players back in 2004.
Speedster Panyangara is also expected to bolster an attack that already features upcoming Tendai Chatara and Shingirai Masakadza.
"We have also made an effort to go for the tried and tested. When we also heard of Panyangara's interests in joining the Mountaineers, we thought it is only befitting that he returns to us as he once played for the then provincial side - Manicaland.
"We believe that his presence will certainly add value to the franchise," Senzani said.

The soft-spoken cricket administrator also briefly spoke about the departure of Tatenda Taibu, Njabulo Ncube and Stuart Matsikenyeri.
The Mountaineers did not renew the contracts of the three players.
"They (Taibu, Matsikenyeri and Ncube) were a vital part of our team, but they have left. They are indeed very good players and we hope they will be good ambassadors of the professional conduct at Mountaineers. We wish them well at the new franchises they will be joining.

"In any case, the loss of the three high profile players is nothing to cry about. We are looking forward to building a side that will take us into the future. The exciting talent that we have signed should see the Mountaineers dominate in all formats of the game. The fusion of youth and experience should see a brand of cricket that will enthrall fans," said Senzani.

Mountaineers affirmed their status as the country's leading franchise with some outstanding performances by Hamilton Masakadza who finished as the highest run scorer in the Stanbic T20 series as well as the second highest run scorer in Logan cup.
Mutare-born Tinotenda Mawoyo also enhanced his reputation as one of the premier batsmen in the country during the Metbank one day series in which he accumulated 424 runs, the highest by any bats man in the country.
The bowling department had Timycen Maruma claiming an impressive 53 wickets as he dazzled batsmen with his leg spin. Not to be out done was Prosper Utseya whose control and guile was too much for opposing batsmen.
Mountaineers also promoted from with their development ranks off spinner Tapiwa Mufudza while young Kudzai Sauramba has been given another chance to prove the promise he showed as a school boy.
Indicators point to a memorable summer of scintillating performances from the team that performed brilliantly in the first year of franchise cricket.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Foreign quartet joins Mountaineers

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Good news all round - but particularly about Greg Smith; I was hoping he'd return to the Mountaineers. He comes across as a genuinely nice person and he put in a blinder for the Mountaineers in one of the Twenty20 matches, took a 5-fer opening the bowling against Mashonaland I think. It's a good story how he ended up there; apparently he was in South Africa watching the SuperSport channel on TV and saw the Stanbic series which was taking place in Zimbabwe. Wanting to be involved, he made a few phone calls and within a day or so he was in Zimbabwe and playing for the Mountaineers.

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Wow, such an amazing story.
... an attack that already features upcoming Tendai Chatara and Shingirai Masakadza.
As a faithful Tuskers fan, I want one of these. Just one, it's not much hee : :mrgreen:

eugene

Post by eugene »

Who would have guessed a few years ago that we would have foreign players lining up to play domestically in Zimbabwe. It used to be the case that we couldn't even get Zimbabwean cricketers to play here, let alone anyone else. While I still have many problems with the ZC rulers, I have to commend them on their efforts with the domestic game.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Robin

Post by Robin »

Boundary wrote:As a faithful Tuskers fan, I want one of these. Just one, it's not much hee : :mrgreen:
Why? Won't Mupariwa, Mpofu, Meth, Ncube, Blignaut and maybe Aliseni be enough for you? And you have the extremely promising Godwill Mamhiyo. You are extremely greedy Mr Boundary!

Robin

Post by Robin »

These overseas signings are not as good as they sound. Smith is a good player and will bring balance to the Mountaineers team in all form of the game. However Palladino and Cross are only fringe county players.

Cross is a great one day exponent but is 26/27 and only played a handful of first class games. Kudzai Saauramba who is from Mutare is the most promising batsman-wicketkeeper in Zim and will be this coming years U19 keeper. I hope Cross does not retard his development. Also if Cross is keeping for the Mountaineers and Wessells for the Rhino's that will only leave 3 places for Zimbabwean keepers (and the Tuskers announced they were looking for an overseas keeper). 2 of these keepers will be Taibu and Chakabva. It doesn't look good for any young and aspiring keeper in Zim!

Palladino is a journeyman medium pacer. I can't see where he will fit into the attack? The first choice 4 will be Smith, Panyangara, Masakadza, Chatara. They have signed Stev Chimhawhiwa from the Tuskers, they have Tiripano who played last year and their local semears Mujaji and Musoso. In addition they are hardly going to go with a seam led attack as they have Utseya, Maruma and Mushangwe (as well as local youngsters Mufudza & Nherera) in the spin department.

I would have thought their priority after the loss of Matsikenyeri (keep calm everyone) would have been a batsman.

Overseas players are great but they are there to strengthen areas that are weak to to block the progress and development of existing players with talent

Conant

Post by Conant »

Boundary wrote:Wow, such an amazing story.
... an attack that already features upcoming Tendai Chatara and Shingirai Masakadza.
As a faithful Tuskers fan, I want one of these. Just one, it's not much hee : :mrgreen:
And Tinashe Panyangara. Incredible. That's like Mohhamed Aamir, Mohamed Asif and Umar Gul

Conant

Post by Conant »

Robin wrote:
I would have thought their priority after the loss of Matsikenyeri (keep calm everyone) would have been a batsman.

Lol! But seriously, like your points, Robin. We need more like you

eugene

Post by eugene »

Robin wrote:These overseas signings are not as good as they sound. Smith is a good player and will bring balance to the Mountaineers team in all form of the game. However Palladino and Cross are only fringe county players.

Cross is a great one day exponent but is 26/27 and only played a handful of first class games. Kudzai Saauramba who is from Mutare is the most promising batsman-wicketkeeper in Zim and will be this coming years U19 keeper. I hope Cross does not retard his development. Also if Cross is keeping for the Mountaineers and Wessells for the Rhino's that will only leave 3 places for Zimbabwean keepers (and the Tuskers announced they were looking for an overseas keeper). 2 of these keepers will be Taibu and Chakabva. It doesn't look good for any young and aspiring keeper in Zim!

Palladino is a journeyman medium pacer. I can't see where he will fit into the attack? The first choice 4 will be Smith, Panyangara, Masakadza, Chatara. They have signed Stev Chimhawhiwa from the Tuskers, they have Tiripano who played last year and their local semears Mujaji and Musoso. In addition they are hardly going to go with a seam led attack as they have Utseya, Maruma and Mushangwe (as well as local youngsters Mufudza & Nherera) in the spin department.

Overseas players are great but they are there to strengthen areas that are weak to to block the progress and development of existing players with talent

You raise some good points. I would hope the development of Zimbabwean players is still a top priority, although with allegedly independently run franchises is this the top priority? Is a franchise's top priority to win games or develop young Zimbabwean cricketers? I would hope it is the latter.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Robin wrote:These overseas signings are not as good as they sound. Smith is a good player and will bring balance to the Mountaineers team in all form of the game. However Palladino and Cross are only fringe county players.

You raise some good points. I would hope the development of Zimbabwean players is still a top priority, although with allegedly independently run franchises is this the top priority? Is a franchise's top priority to win games or develop young Zimbabwean cricketers? I would hope it is the latter.
I think they should attempt to do both. Bring on the youngsters but at the same time have 1 or 2 (tops) overseas cricketers to help them develop