Taylor unfazed by Proteas

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

By Eddie Chikamhi

BRENDAN Taylor can’t wait to face the Proteas when the Zimbabwe cricket team embarks on a tour of South Africa next week.

The 24-year old right-handed batsman says, the tour which is the team’s only confirmed assignment ahead of the ICC World Cup in February next year is important for the team, especially ahead of this major cricket tournament.
“It’s very important in many ways. Obviously playing against the best teams in the world will expose us to the highest level of cricket we long for.
“South Africa are rated higher than us and we understand that we are going to play some of the best players you can come across,” said Taylor.
South Africa have named a strong squad for the three ODIs and two Twenty20 matches beginning next week.
The Proteas squad includes the likes of AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, JP Duminy with Graeme Smith as captain.
But Taylor remains unfazed although he is quite cognisant of their opponents’ calibre.
“We need to play such teams for our benefit. One thing is certain that we are going there to improve our game.
“It’s a big opportunity for the team. The World Cup is coming next year and it is in itself the biggest stage you can have to showcase your talents.
Taylor made his debut at the age of 18 in 2003 and has been one of the pillars of the team ever since.
He made headlines when he scored 60 runs (from 45 deliveries) to help Zimbabwe achieve one of the biggest upsets by beating Australia at the 2007 Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa.
“I am glad there is great competition in the team now because of franchise cricket. There is a lot of potential in youngsters and I believe we can come up on a good day.
“We only need to put our top order in good shape. It’s one weakness that I have noticed because we need to put a better foundation for the rest of team.
“We can stand a chance against any team provided we put a good all round performance,” he said.
Taylor, one of the regular faces in the national side believes it’s time Zimbabwe move on to face some of the world’s cricket greats after the series win over Ireland last week.
But like many of the Zimbabwe players, Taylor has struggled for consistency.
He was voted man of the match for his match winning half-century in the second ODI but was dismissed for a disappointing single digit score in the next match.
“Obviously we didn’t play our best cricket against Ireland. But there is always great room for improvement.
“We let ourselves down on many occasions when we could have comfortably won. Our top order was not up to scratch.
“The bowlers did well to dismiss the opponents but we could not follow that up well despite winning some of the matches. I think we could have done much better,” he said.
Taylor, one of the most familiar faces in the Zimbabwe team in recent years, said he was excited with his form in the domestic game as well as the national team although he still thinks he has much to work on before the World Cup.
“I have been working hard to be the best I can be. I still believe with a lot more effort and help from my teammates and the coaches, soon I will be where I want to be,” he said.
Taylor has played 105 ODIs for Zimbabwe and has scored 2 990 runs at an average of 31.80. With two centuries under his belt, the unbeaten 119 against Sri Lanka in the Micromax Tri-Series in June this year remains his best ODI score.
Taylor said the franchise system currently underway has helped expose talents, which puts pressure on national team players to perform.
“Zimbabwe Cricket have provided all the assistance we can ask for and I am happy there is a lot of promise. There is great competition for places and no one is secure in the team,” he said.
Zim Twenty20 squad:
Elton Chigumbura(capt), Hamilton Masakadza , Chamu Chibhabha, Tatenda Taibu (wk), Shingirai Masakadza, Ian Nicolson, Prosper Utseya, Graeme Cremer, Charles Coventry, Ed Rainsford, Chris Mpofu, Keith Dabengwa, Grant Flower, Brendan Taylor.
Zim ODI Squad:
Elton Chigumbura (capt), Hamilton Masakadza , Chamu Chibhabha, Tatenda Taibu (wk), Shingirai Masakadza, Ian Nicolson, Prosper Utseya, Graeme Cremer, Ed Rainsford, Chris Mpofu, Keith Dabengwa, Grant Flower, Sean Williams, Craig Ervine, Brendan Taylor.
SA ODI squad:
Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers (wk), JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Charl Langeveldt, David Miller, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe
SA Twenty20 squad:
Johan Botha (capt), Loots Bosman, JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Heino Kuhn (wk), David Miller, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Graeme Smith, Rusty Theron, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
http://www.herald.co.zw/inside.aspx?sectid=3018&cat=5

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Taylor unfazed by Proteas

Post by sloandog »

Good article. We're in for a good series here. Will be interesting to see what the batting line up will be for the first ODI