Campbell: Flower could play at World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Alistair Campbell is hoping that Grant Flower can play on until next year's World Cup after confirming the 39-year-old's selection for Zimbabwe's tour of South Africa.

Flower had been scheduled to take up a new role as the national side's batting coach, but has now also been named in the squad to face the Proteas in two Twenty20 internationals and three one-day matches against the Proteas.

A veteran of 67 Tests and 219 ODIs, Flower has played for Essex since his final international for Zimbabwe in early 2004. He's just finished a particularly good season in 40-over cricket, hitting 527 runs at 65.87 as Essex marched to the Clydesdale Bank semi-finals.

"I've been speaking to Grant Flower throughout the season, and he had a tremendous season with Essex," Campbell told Cricket365. "He averaged 65 for them in their 40-over competition and I've got a theory or a philosophy that with his work ethic, batting alongside some of the younger batsmen during this tour will be invaluable insofar as their progression is concerned.

"I think it will be a really good start for his coaching career if he can be at the front line with some of those youngsters and get to know how they react under pressure. Also just to be that wise old head on the field, which we seriously need at the moment.

"Particularly with guys like [Brendan] Taylor, [Hamilton] Masakadza and [Tatenda] Taibu, I just think that they will feed off him and respond to him being out there."

Flower admitted that things could get awkward if he himself struggles for runs, but while Campbell conceded that the role would be tricky, he feels that it makes all-round sense.

"It's not easy - you don't find many player-coach roles that do work - but the thing in this role is that he's not the head coach, he's just the batting coach," he said. "So he can get the people galvanised and go out into the heat of battle with them. And apart from all of that he's a heck of a good player, and with him in the side it strengthens the batting department big time."

Campbell captained Flower from 1996 to 2002, and is a year younger than him. Asked whether he thought Flower might have a couple of years left in him still, Campbell replied: "I do, he doesn't. The agreement we have is that we'll just play it tour by tour and see where he's at. He says he's got a few niggling injuries and the like, but he's committed to this tour and for our domestic Twenty20 tournament, and then we'll play it by ear from there.

"I wouldn't say he's got a couple of years, but I would dearly love him to play up to and including the World Cup - that's always been my aim."

If Flower is able to stay fit until February's showpiece on the subcontinent it would be his fourth World Cup appearance, having taken part in the 1996, 1999 and 2003 editions.

The presence of Flower and Campbell in the Zimbabwe setup represents a dramatic turnaround. Flower was one of the 15 'rebels' who found themselves at loggerheads with Zimbabwe Cricket in 2004, a disagreement which appeared to have ended his international career.

And while his appointment as batting coach had been announced some time ago, his selection as a player took everyone by surprise given Zimbabwe's intentions to build for the future with a young group of players.

"We've been sticking with younger players because we simply haven't had any senior batsmen in the country, so it's not going back on anything," explained Campbell. "The oldest guy around is left-arm spinner Raymond Price, and Brendan Taylor is the only batsman approaching 30."

Thursday's squad announcement confirmed that competition for places is becoming fiercer. Charles Coventry has been left out of the one-day squad despite being something of a regular in the setup for the past year.

Campbell is hopeful that this will continue to raise performances as Zimbabwe look forward to a tough series against a strong South African side.

"The player who's replaced Coventry, Sean Williams, got that 178 against Ireland in the four-day game, got 73 yesterday [against Ireland] and was looking good for his 20-odd in the game before when he was run out," said Campbell.

"Craig Ervine is involved as well and we want to try and groom him because he looks like a bright prospect. Another guy we've added to the squad, Keith Dabengwa, got 140 against Ireland [in the Intercontinental Cup] and has been good in franchise cricket.

"So I think the guys are feeling the pressure. The players that thought they were established know the proof is in the pudding and they have to put in consistent performances to get into the side. In every other country where that came about the standards improved and you get your real cream coming to the top and that's the aim."
http://www.cricket365.com/zimbabwe/stor ... -World-Cup

sloandog

Re: Campbell: Flower could play at World Cup

Post by sloandog »

I really like Campbell. He's good for the Zimbabwean Game. He's honest in what he says and he selects on merit, something that has been lacking in the past 5 years or so. If Flower doesn't think he's going to be around for long, he should not be in the squad. Simple. If he's not comitted to playing for as long as he can, then he shouldn't have beem selected for the tour. I ould have much preferred to see Foster Mutizwa or maybe Malcolm Waller included.
However seeing him in Zimbabwean colours again will be a sight for sour eyes, and i am looking forward to seeing him play. I wish him all the best for the tour, but am not totally happy with his inlusion. It does however beef our batting line up up just by seeing his name in the team. Williams, Ervine, Flower, Taibu, Taylor and Mazakadza looks like a healthy batting line up.

COME ON ZIMBABWE !!!!!!! :lol:

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Grant Flower adds a whole lot of dimesion to the side. And his inclusion will surely help the other players to play their natural game without too much presure on them. Lets see how we do in the up coming series
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

tawac wrote:Grant Flower adds a whole lot of dimesion to the side. And his inclusion will surely help the other players to play their natural game without too much presure on them. Lets see how we do in the up coming series
Think the benefit that a player like Sean Williams who has never really played with senior players around him would gain from batting in the middle with Grant Flower

Im very much behind this move and hope he will play a whole season including the first test against Bangladesh

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

NO this does not WORK I am sorry, how can players have private talks about theoir conditions and welfare if part of the coaching structure is in the room!!! My main concern is the dual role.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

Mike

Post by Mike »

I think its a good move. We need a old head in the team because it helps lots! Just think of Dave Houghton. His experience is second to none.

However I think we shouldn't pick him after the world cup...