Zimbabwe Players Abroad (2012 Season)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Zimbabwe Players Abroad (2012 Season)

Post by zimfan1 »

Hi Guys thought i would get a thread going about how our guys get on over in the UK this summer, with clear indications that a lot of players are being ecourged to go and get experience of different condiations overseas i thought id go through who had been signed up so far

Feel free to add any updates to who is going where

Nathen Waller - Lisburn CC (Ireland)
Malcolm Waller - Ferguslie CC (Scotland)
Dougie Hondo - Ipswich CC (England)
Ryan Butterworth - CIYMS CC (Ireland)
Calum Price - Stone CC (England)
Tendai Chitongo - Linden Park CC (England)
Timycen Maruma - Lancaster CC (England)
Simon Mugava - Eversley CC (England)
PJ Moore - CIYMS CC (Ireland)
Norman Brackley - Irvine CC (England)
Craig Ervine - Lymington CC (England)
Glen Quel - Unicorns/North Devon (England)
Brighton Mugochi - Ewhurst CC (England)
Steve Mariller - VCC (Netherlands)
Last edited by zimfan1 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:59 am, edited 7 times in total.

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe Players Abroad (2012 Season)

Post by Flower power »

I think its great because then they can start experiencing different conditions . I would have expected more guys to go especially during this off season .
Zim players kind of need a crank up when they have rested for a while .
Players that i would have loved to see playing even club cricket to get their strokes and confidence back .
Many a Zimbabwean lack match practice time in the middle . Nets can deceive you into thinking you are good .

1. Hamilton - When he fires we can get in good positions .Too many a time this season he has not fired
2. Taibu - Too much of a big mouth . Should step up as a senior player when the team is in trouble .
3. Elton - Might want to spend more time with the pigs , but I would want him to get that boom vibe back . Game time is crucial . i would him to bowl a tad more .
4. Mpofu -i don't know whether he is back from injury , but I would love our experienced pacemen to get a bit more game time without pressure .He can work and perfect his variations without too much pressure on him.
5 .Vittori - Young man needs to get his confidence back and club cricket overseas would be a place for him to reload himself .
6 . Jarvis - Already playing First Class Cricket in New Zealand . Hope he gets as many overs to bowl and become lethal .
7. Taylor - Needs these smaller settings to improve his footing . Even a County Second Xi would be good for him .
8.Cremer - Needs to heat up as he is recovering from injury .

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Good to see young Simon Mugava get a club in Eversley CC (England)

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Hampshire club signs Mugava PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 14 March 2012 00:00

Jeffrey Murimbechi Sports Correspondent
Hampshire-based Eversley Cricket Club have signed MidWest Rhinos and former Zimbabwe Under-19 off-breaker, Simon Mugava, on a six-month contract in England. Mugava (21) will be joining the team as

one of their overseas players and his slow bowling will provide a new dimension to their bowling attack.
Mugava had his Zimbabwean first-class debut against the Mountaineers in 2010 and has taken 42 wickets in 15 first-class matches at an average of 24.26, including one five-wicket haul.

This will be the young man’s first time playing as an overseas player and he acknowledges the magnitude of the task at hand.
There is a lot demanded of an overseas player in English cricket and the pressure to perform at a very high level is very intense.
However, this does not deter Mugava as the young bowler is confident.
“I am honoured to be selected by the club; this does not happen to a lot of people, especially people my age. It will be very challenging adapting to new conditions, and the

responsibilities and expectations as an overseas player, I have had a look at what my role will be and it’s not going to be light work in England. I back myself up very much and I

have played in Zimbabwe’s first-class, which even made me hungrier for more competitive cricket, so the fear of not performing at my best is not an issue for me right now,” he said.
Zimbabwe Cricket’s 2011/12 domestic season came to a close earlier this month and is likely to resume in September — this leaves a huge six-month gap of no competitive cricket.

Club cricket is still played in Zimbabwe but not at an advanced level such as English Club cricket, something that is vital for building a broader player base for national team selection.

Some clubs in England are supported by affluent members, sponsors and the English Cricket board, which also makes it a good and rewarding decision to play for teams such as Eversley.

For Mugava, the decision to go to Hampshire is not financially-based but rather a career development move as he sets his eyes on a national team place in the not so distant future.

“It’s not about the money it’s about the exposure and experience and to learn how to take control of responsibilities. We have a long break and I would rather get more game time during that period than anything else.”
Mugava will be giving back to the Midlands community as a volunteer umpire in today’s Kadoma Under-19 one-day tournament along with his MidWest Rhinos teammates.
http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?optio ... Itemid=142

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

PJ Moore to join Ryan Butterworth at CIYMS CC (Northern Cricket Union)

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Waringstown sign South African Glen Addicott
A Bushe (News Letter)
31 March 2012

WARINGSTOWN have signed South African all-rounder Glen Addicott as a replacement for his free-scoring compatriot Obus Pienaar.

The 26-year-old, who has been in prolific form with the bat in the South African domestic season with KwaZula-Natal, will link up with the Bob Kerr Irish Cup holders in mid-April.

Waringstown turned to Addicott after Pienaar's franchise, the Knights, ruled that he would not be allowed to spend the South African winter abroad because of concerns about a long-term back condition.

Waringstown captain Kyle McCallan said, "We are delighted to have secured the services of Glen Addicott for the coming season. He comes highly recommended and his performances over the winter in South Africa underline that he is a high quality cricketer. While it was a disappointing that Obus could not return for a second season, we are confident Glen will prove to be a great asset for the club. We are looking forward to challenging for honours again this summer and defending the NCU Challenge Cup and Bob Kerr Irish Cup that we won in 2011."

Addicott was the third-highest run-scorer in the Cricket South Africa one-day challenge competition this winter, and he also bowls useful medium-pace. He will a strong Waringstown top order along with McCallan, James Hall and last year's outstanding batsman, Lee Nelson.

The villagers are however sweating on the fitness of Josh Hall, with the Ireland under-19 star having been diagnosed with a stress fracture of the back. A scan this week revealed that Hall may yet play some part in the season, having initially been ruled out for the entire campaign.

In other NCU news, CIYMS have confirmed the signing of the Zimbabwe under-19 all-rounder PJ Moor. The youngster was recommended to the Belmont club by his fellow countryman Ryan Butterworth, who joined the club from Eglinton over the winter[/b].

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Young Norman Brackley of to Irvine CC
CRICKET: Irvine sign overseas aces

Mar 23 2012 by John Woods, Irvine Herald

IRVINE Cricket Club have snapped up one of Pakistan's most promising talents as their overseas professional for the coming season.

Shoaib Khan, an unusual combination of a left-hand opening batsman and right arm medium fast off-spinner, has played Twenty20 cricket for his country four times since he was first selected for a four-nation tournament in Canada.

Although Khan's selection was controversial at the time he was well worth including, having piled up 884 runs from ten matches during the season and notched 54-ball 85 in a close run-chase against the Lahore Lions in the RBS Twenty20 Cup.

Since then the 26-year-old has played for a number of leading sides and opened the batting for Pakistan International Airlines before heading for Irvine.

Joining Khan at Marress is overseas amateur Norman Brackley, a 20-year-old British passport-holding Zimbabwean who has represented his country at U17 level, plays for Premier club side Old Hararians and Eagles 2nd XI.

A top order batsman who bowls off-spin, Brackley spent the 2011 summer developing his game with Skegness in the strong Lincolnshire Cricket Board Premier League. He hit 715 runs at 26.48 in all formats to compliment 27 wickets for an average of 21.74.

Brackley grew up playing his cricket at St George’s School where he represented the 1st XI for three years, featuring in the T20 winning side and touring South Africa several times.

At club level, he has become a consistent performer in the Premier League, hitting 104 and 110 plus taking 22 wickets at 22.7 in the past two seasons.

Brackley is a promising young cricketer and was desperate to return for a second stint in the UK this year.

“There's no doubt these are two very, very good players and Shaoib in particular is a class act,” said Marress skipper Stuart McCallum.

“You don't pick up caps for Pakistan at any level if you can't play a bit.”

McCallum hopes the new arrivals will help Irvine gain promotion to the Western District Cricket Union Premiership Division this year and will surround the pair with the tried and tested from previous league and cup campaigns.

“We've re-signed all the top names like Drew Parsons again, most of the promising youngsters, hopefully Sammy-Joe Avontuur will be back as well, plus we're looking at a few others,” said McCallum.

“If we can get our best team on the park every week I'm confident we'll do really well.”

As well as playing for the 1st XI the new boys will help with coaching the hugely promising young talent which will turn out for Irvine at U18s and U14s in the coming season.

“We've got a really good coaching system in place with indoor sessions at Greenwood over the winter,” added the hard-working Irvine captain.

“Last year we blooded a lot of very talented young boys in the first team and, with the help of Shoaib and Norman we aim to keep producing quality players for the future.”

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Good that so many are playing in England. Dissapointing that we can't get more players into higher slots - even Minor Counties cricket would be good.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Jemisi wrote:Good that so many are playing in England. Dissapointing that we can't get more players into higher slots - even Minor Counties cricket would be good.
Minor counties don't really select foreign players. They are allowed 1 locally based professional, who often acts as a player/coach, and the rest are either promising youngsters or local club players.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Glen Quel to play for Unicorns/North Devon
Querl continues in Unicorn's squad

CORNWALL'S Keith Parsons will captain the Unicorns in this season's CB 40 competition, for the third successive year.

The former Somerset favourite enjoyed a successful 17-year career with his home County between 1992 and 2008, during which he made more than 400 First Class and one-day appearances.

The high spot of Parsons' career was being named as Man of the Match after scoring an unbeaten 60 and taking two crucial wickets to help Somerset lift the Cheltenham and Gloucester Trophy at Lord's in 2001.

Earlier this week it was officially announced that Parsons, who will be 39 in May, will again lead the ECB recreational side in the 40-over competition against professional opposition.

'It's a huge honour to represent the ECB as captain of the Unicorns for the third year and hopefully this season we will enjoy a few more successes,' said Parsons.

'In the first two years we have had four wins over first class counties and we will be looking to build upon this in 2012," said Parsons.

'This year we had 340 cricketers nominated to be part of the Unicorns from which we have selected a squad of 30.

'The team's reputation is growing and it is seen now as a good development tool for counties and for players to showcase their talents and earn contracts, which is what the intention was from the start when the team was first established.'

Parsons added: 'It was always intended the Unicorns would be a development side and it has worked pretty well.

'The former Somerset player Wes Durston was released by the county and picked up by Derbyshire after several good performances.

'There have also been a number of others who have had trials and been signed by counties so it has been a great success.'

Glen Querl (pictured,left), who plays his club cricket for North Devon is also included in the squad of 30.

'Glenn has played in every game for us so far since we started so it will be great to have him back for another season,' said Parsons.

Another familiar name is Andy Kerr, younger brother of Somerset coach Jason Kerr, who is an opening batsman in one of the Lancashire leagues.

The squad got together this weekend for a training weekend, ready for a friendly against Oxford University on March 25.

'Then we have a couple of warm ups so we should be all set to go for our first game, which is against Derbyshire against Wes Durston and co in early May,' said Parsons.

The Unicorns will play in a different group in 2012 to the one they have been in for the first two seasons.

'We are not in the same group as Somerset, which I have got mixed feelings about although they are one of the best sides,' said Parsons.

'This year we have got to play against Kent, Northants, Yorkshire, Sussex and Warwickshire.'

Parsons is in for a busy summer as he will be playing WEPL cricket for Taunton St Andrew's and Minor Counties for Cornwall.

'Cornwall are a good team to play for and I enjoying being involved with them and hopefully we will be challenging again as we have been for the last couple of seasons,' said Parsons.

Unicorns Squad: Gavin Baker (unattached), Luke Beaven (Reading), James Campbell (Bath), Nicky Caunce (Ormskirk), Steve Cheetham (Radcliffe), Sam Davies (Cardiff MCCU), Rhodri Evans (Loughborough MCCU), Tom Friend (Cardiff MCCU), Phil Harris (Cardiff MCCU), Lewis Hill (Lutterworth), Andy Kerr (Greenmount), Josh Knappett (Finchley), Warren Lee (Blackheath), Jayden Levitt (Wiltshire), Tom New (Mansfield HM), James Ord (Barnt Green), Max Osborne (Brentwood), Keith Parsons (Cornwall), Joel Pope (Sunbury), Glen Querl (North Devon), Amar Rashid (Shepley), Mike Thornley (Sutton CC), Vishal Tripathy (Wolverhampton), Bradley Wadlan (Bridgend), Dan Wheeldon (Sandiacre), Rob Woolley (Cambridge MCCU).

Unicorns fixtures: May 6 v Derbyshire Wormsley; May 7 v Northants, Northampton; May 13 Sussex, Hove; May 20 Kent, Canterbury; May 27 Yorkshire, Scarborough; June 3 Sussex, Southend; June 5 Kent, Southend; July 15 Derbyshire, Chesterfield; July 22 Warwickshire, Edgbaston; July 29 Northants, Wormsley; August 12 Yorkshire, Headingley; August 19 Warwickshire, Wormsley.
http://www.devoncricket.co.uk/page.asp?ID=3612