4th T20I | Zimbabwe vs India | July 13, 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jontym87
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: 4th T20I | Zimbabwe vs India | July 13, 2024

Post by jontym87 »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:37 pm
Since when did renunciation of other citizenships be a factor?
It was about 30 years ago, but I believe it was changed.
You can get an investor's passport/citizenship as well so that 10 year requirement is no longer relevant either.
My guess is that the issue is he hasn't completed his 3 year residency, which is an ICC requirement.
I don't know what that entails-
Is it 3 years in total or is it 6 months and 1 day per year?
Prepared to bet that's where the issue is.
Zimbabwe Constitution only allows dual citizenship for citizens by birth only. If you attaining citizenship by registration you have to renounce foreign citizenship.
Professional troll feeder since 2011 :P

jontym87

Post by jontym87 »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:40 pm
I don’t know. Tawanda can sort of legit claim to be a refugee and have zanu after him, like what was knackers running from that he had to seek refuge here of all places when he has a million other passports :lol:
Tawanda got refugee status through his mum. His mum had refugee status and invited him over as he was a minor so straight away he gets refugee status.

jontym87

Post by jontym87 »

Ladies and gents remember Zimbabwe constitution takes precedence over ICC. Even SRC said no and didn’t clear him otherwise he would have been playing.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jontym87 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:16 pm
Ladies and gents remember Zimbabwe constitution takes precedence over ICC. Even SRC said no and didn’t clear him otherwise he would have been playing.
Not really, ICC rules say you need to have been a resident (183 days+ what Googly said) for four years, they are strict on it. I know a multi millionaire who doesnt qualify because he spends too much time abroad.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jontym87

Post by jontym87 »

Yes those are ICC rules. But I act country has its own laws that takes precedence over ICC.

Someone gave a good case of Muyeye. He has ordinarily been a resident in the UK for the specified period but ECB can’t pick him because of the UK laws. UK laws says you can’t represent England without a British passport. Same as Zimbabwean Law you cannot represent Zimbabwe if you’re not a Zimbabwean citizen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... ility.html
Last edited by jontym87 on Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jontym87

Post by jontym87 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:04 pm
jontym87 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:16 pm
Not really, ICC rules say you need to have been a resident (183 days+ what Googly said) for four years, they are strict on it. I know a multi millionaire who doesnt qualify because he spends too much time abroad.
Yes those are ICC rules. But I act country has its own laws that takes precedence over ICC.

Someone gave a good case of Muyeye. He has ordinarily been a resident in the UK for the specified period but ECB can’t pick him because of the UK laws. UK laws says you can’t represent England without a British passport. Same as Zimbabwean Law you cannot represent Zimbabwe if you’re not a Zimbabwean citizen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... ility.html

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Jesus wept - there is some absolute shite in this thread, properly uninformed bollocks.

Like you are so wrong. (Nothing new for good old Jonty).

As a FACT - ICC Playing Conditions on eligibility are;
- 3 years consecutive residency
OR
- A passport and full citizenship

The two are separate.

As a fact, I know that Antum is physically in possession of a Zim passport after an intervention by SRC and Ministry of Home Affairs. He was issued this in early July.

There is a paperwork process to register a payer as eligible. ZC had assumed this was just ticking a box and was instant but it turns out they have still not received a green light from the ICC.

If the ICC object then they are in breach of their own playing conditions. Nothing in their playing conditions clarifies what constitutes citizenship.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Residency has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

jontym87 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:07 pm
Googly wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:37 pm
Since when did renunciation of other citizenships be a factor?
It was about 30 years ago, but I believe it was changed.
You can get an investor's passport/citizenship as well so that 10 year requirement is no longer relevant either.
My guess is that the issue is he hasn't completed his 3 year residency, which is an ICC requirement.
I don't know what that entails-
Is it 3 years in total or is it 6 months and 1 day per year?
Prepared to bet that's where the issue is.
Zimbabwe Constitution only allows dual citizenship for citizens by birth only. If you attaining citizenship by registration you have to renounce foreign citizenship.
How do you know that, Jonty? Do you have the latest regs? It definitely used to be an issue and I think you're probably right.
They've always been uber conservative about giving out citizenships, that is until the Chinese colonised us. Now they're dishing them out like candies. I know for a white person doing it legit it is extremely difficult to get a dual citizenship here, but we have to play by a different set of rules unless you've got deep pockets.
We are owned by China. If one day Zanu decided they were enough, China would just say tough luck and there's nothing they could do. It's a weird situation, the white folk built this country from nothing and they're despised and the yellow guys are raping it and they're loved. A fancy soccer stadium and a parliament was all it took, if only we'd known. :lol:
I wish they'd show an interest in cricket :lol:

If the rumours are true and Knackers does now have a Zim passport then it's not an ICC decision other than just rubber stamping some sort of player registration application. SZ is adamant that's the case. Not sure what the delay is?
Maybe he has to, or they have to de-register him from elsewhere? Maybe he had several irons in the fire?

If he hasn't got the passport then it's the residency thing and I'm sure he's not been in-country the requisite number of days. The 3 years yes, but I'm sure he's not paid attention to the 180 plus rule.

Let's see today. Maybe.

Pat_Bee
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Pat_Bee »

Whatever the issue is, it seems like ZC thought it was a mere formality by naming him in the squad. :lol: