Price v Utseya (in tests)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sillymid
Supports: Southern Rocks

Price v Utseya (in tests)

Post by sillymid »

I know he is number 7 in ODIs, i know he is more experienced but on current form dont u think Utseya should be given a game against NewZealand.

Lamb might have done enough to displace Chigs against the Kiwis especialy on the turning wicket.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Price v Utseya (in tests)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

You think 34-18-39-0 is cause to be dropped? :shock:
The only thing he's done wrong is not take a wicket, and from what I saw he did give an opportunity which was dropped at silly mid on.

I just don't think you drop your star players; not to mention that Price is the only world class bowler in the attack. Besides all that, he spins it away from the right hander. Unlike Cremer, Utseya would be providing the same sort of option that Lamb does.

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

The Test against NZ will be in Bulawayo, so I think we can drop one seamer, and have all three of Price, Utseya and Lamb. But then again, it the spin that was destroyed by the Kiwis at the world cup .....

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Boundary wrote:The Test against NZ will be in Bulawayo, so I think we can drop one seamer, and have all three of Price, Utseya and Lamb. But then again, it the spin that was destroyed by the Kiwis at the world cup .....
Even though Vitori has been expensive and Mpofu hasn't taken wickets, I still wouldn't drop a seamer. If Cremer was available then maybe you'd have a think about it, but I wouldn't drop Vitori or Mpofu for Utseya. Even though he's got better at it, I still don't see Utseya as a genuine wicket taking option in Tests and bringing him into the team would give less variety to the attack.

TheBradDevil
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by TheBradDevil »

Ps
Had Price's 38 gone for a gallon, Pak would be leading right now. People dont seem to understand and apprecciate the concept of playing spin twins. Run rate is absolutely essential so Lamb cn be more attacking, albeit going for a few.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Without Price, Pakistan would have been scoring at an ODI rate. The true value of Price was shown today. He can deliver consistent steady bowling from one end for an entire day if needed.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Boundary wrote:The Test against NZ will be in Bulawayo, so I think we can drop one seamer, and have all three of Price, Utseya and Lamb. But then again, it the spin that was destroyed by the Kiwis at the world cup .....
Rameez Raja: You should play to your strengths which lies in pace. Even on a turner Price wont turn much so groom pace attack
But for Kiwis i think Price, Cremer, Lamb will be too much
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

Maweni

Post by Maweni »

Oh how I hoped someone would bring this up! Utseya>Price in tests-he'd take more wickets I feel; he'd be more threatening(especially recently). Price doesn't seem to be asking questions of the batsmen, you feel the only way he'll take a wicket is if the batsman takes a risk or looses concentration big time.

Maweni

Post by Maweni »

Also-all this stuff about Price reducing the run rate being great is unambitious. In tests TO WIN you have to TAKE 20 WICKETS not keep the opposition scoring at a couple per over. That's all good in ODIs but for tests-I'd rather go for a few and take wickets than just stem the run flow.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Maweni wrote:Also-all this stuff about Price reducing the run rate being great is unambitious. In tests TO WIN you have to TAKE 20 WICKETS not keep the opposition scoring at a couple per over. That's all good in ODIs but for tests-I'd rather go for a few and take wickets than just stem the run flow.
In tests nowadays, with flat pitches and few bowlers around with real venom or mystery, restricting the run rate has become an attacking option. Batsmen are expected and most expect to score quickly, and by denying scoring opportunities you force them to either go in their shell (against their better instincts) or hit out (and increase the chance to get out). The stick the Pakistani batsmen are getting from their fans is a sight to behold ;) . Price gave the Pakistani batsmen nothing, and I think he asked enough questions, otherwise they would have milked him easily for 3 an over.

Prosper is one of my favourite cricketers around but he's still down the pecking order from Price. It's not as if he's turning the ball square or bowling undecipherable doosras. Against Bangladesh's array of lefthanders one could have considered him as a horses-for-opposition alternative, though.